KDE is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE is dead

It's official, it appears the freaking 144Hz crusade won, and now KDE is dead without anybody to really care about the project.

With Alexmitter getting 56 likes (FIVE MORE likes than my best post and TWO MORE than skeevy420's counter-post in 2019), he freaking ruined and destroyed KDE, creating a new world order where everything is GNOME. Yeah, the desktop in where you have to think backwards to use it.

We tried our best to overcome and prevent their victory, but the crusade struck us to no end, and with Qt and the KDE devs slacking off in the stability department (not to mention that even GNOME is somewhat unstable), we horribly failed and met our death.

KWin is broken and uses a timer for frame timing. As soon as you change the refresh rate (or after a while), there is stutter which gets on the way.
    Two attempts were made to solve this problem (kwin-lowlatency and KWinFT). Both ended up being independent forks.
    In the other side, van Vugt solved the problems.

KWin does not have full-screen unredirection (exclusive fullscreen), which means extra latency when playing something in full-screen.
    It used to, but the developers decided to remove it for no reason (they call it a "hack"), and insert a REAL HACK called "block compositing". It is worse than the FS unredirect solution, and takes longer to toggle.
    GNOME has it on the Wayland side. How is it that we are showing a bad image about KDE?

KDE Plasma is turning into a parasited minefield, with bugs and glitches in every corner, and sometimes crashes, even for nonsense reasons.
    Despite years of work, most of it is in the visible side (around 90%), with the other 10% being REAL bug fixes.
    Sometimes you log out fine, but sometimes there is a KWin lingering in the background eating your CPU, and sometimes IT TAKES OVER SDDM!!

SDDM has no intro animation, unlike macOS, Windows or GDM.

It looks like Phoronix is being destroyed, and everything turns into a war zone. Literally, everything. 144Hz and the clan having a sort of evil Midas' touch. Everything they touch turns into a flamewar.
    Members leaving the areas as it becomes less comfortable to live in. Paying members who are disappointed with their tactics leaving.
    This was predicted 7 years ago by Honton (probably 144Hz's old name).

We wanted peace. We wanted to live in our KDE land and not have anybody invade us, and vice-versa.
    But noooo, they have to conquer Phoronix and pretty much own it, to turn its members into slaves forced to use GNOME and its self-claimed "True Freedom" in a future, one way or the other.
    Apparently we get the freedom to change it, but not to fork it and go away improving the UX.

And there is no way to get rid of them, not even with administrator intervention. Nobody can stop them. Not even KDE e.V. or The Qt Company themselves.

I am pretty sure that eventually everyone will give up and 144Hz will buy Phoronix, to turn it into GNOMix, and delete all the KDE threads.
    Eventually he will buy KDE and The Qt Company, with the mission of destroying it completely, and making it illegal to use KDE. That's not "True Freedom"!
    Last edited by tildearrow; 26 August 2020, 03:27 PM.

I don't know what's going on, but I've never found KDE to be remotely stable over fifteen years of making attempts at it.

And Qt4 was quirky when I tried it in 2009.

Comment

There is always something broken or unfinished in KDE. Been like that ever since I can remember. Plasma 4 was just a nightmare. But hey, it's a usable desktop, unlike GNOME. GNOME is not a user friendly DE. You use it how the developers want you to use it. If you have that same frame of mind then it's great.

Comment

Um, Kubuntu has been my daily driver for nearly 18 months now ... this "demise" and "unusability" is news to me ...!

Comment

I am running on Plasma 5 and work on a Qt Project as we speak.

I am getting nervous now

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
            I don't know what's going on,
            The thing begins with 144Hz (formerly Mentalist, GhostOfFunkS, Griffin, funkSTAR and Honton, in newest-to-oldest order).
            This massive troll monster has been a hardcore GNOME fanboy, to the point he would write excessive amounts of propaganda (and lots of anti-KDE material) all over Phoronix.
            The whole problem began on this thread (Honton's comments are invisible because he has been put in the global ignore list).

If you come across a GNOME or KDE (or even Qt or anything FreeDesktop makes) thread, it is very likely that this monster will make a post on the first page, either blaming KDE for using Qt and/or Qt for using a CLA or "boiling a frog"; or praising GNOME for its work. And if not about GNOME, he always does something to relate the work to GNOME, like this:

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            skeevy420 A more detailed answer

GNOME:
            1) MR prepared by Pipewire’s maintainer and main architect.
            2) MR promptly reviewed by 2 mutter maintainers plus extra mutter devs.
            3) Merged and ready for GNOME 3.36.

KDE:
            1) Patch prepared by dev outside Pipewire.
            2) Patch review expected by KDE dev who did his last work in sep 2019.
            3) Not merged.
            ​​​​​​He gets so many likes afterwards, like this post getting 10 likes from people who are not aware this is a troll. This causes his reputation to increase, allowing him to take over Phoronix and get recognition.

Eventually he will no longer be seen as a troll but rather as a fact teller, and he will successfully get the people who complain about him banned, establishing a new order and destroying the classic culture of Phoronix.

Comment

If KDE is dead, this 144Hz character isn't what killed it. And I've had the desire to troll the living hell out of KDE as well. It's blatant lack of regard for quality stirs up a blend of resentment combined with scorn and disdain.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                If KDE is dead, this 144Hz character isn't what killed it. And I've had the desire to troll the living hell out of KDE as well. It's blatant lack of regard for quality stirs up a blend of resentment combined with scorn and disdain.
                GNOME: poor UX

KDE: poor code

Other desktops: poor looks

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

GNOME: poor UX

KDE: poor code

Other desktops: poor looks
                  Which is better and why?

(troll question of course but feel free to answer)

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post

Which is better and why?

(troll question of course but feel free to answer)
                    I can't say it. They would execute me for saying its name.

Comment

Working...
                    X