No announcement yet.

Mozilla Laying Off Around A Quarter Of Their Employees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vpn is only for windows users, most of things come to windows before Linux, and now they put resourges in android? nobody uses firefox in android or even windows

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
      Am I the only one shocked to learn that they actually have any employees, let alone about 1000? I truly believed it was a 1 or 2 man operation at this point.
      I thought they have like 200 staff.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        So many things to deal with
        Off topic question. Does your girlfriend understand that she is #6 on the list of things to "deal" with (and we actually don't know how many coding projects there are, so your girlfriend might be even further down the list)?

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Off topic question. Does your girlfriend understand that she is #6 on the list of things to "deal" with (and we actually don't know how many coding projects there are, so your girlfriend might be even further down the list)?
          It's not in any particular order.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
            I don't understand this hate towards Mozilla. Having your skeletons aired is better than having them hidden, because then you likely have a lot more as you got good at hiding your skeletons.
            True, their browser isn't the fastest at everything, but the reason it's losing marketshare isn't performance, it's because chrome installs itself with so many other software. It's practically pre-installed on every android/windows device, so people already have it.
            Furthermore, Google has proven themselves to be terrible custodians of your privacy, and they actively block efforts to make tracking more difficult.

You really have to be thankful that Firefox is so competitive, as it forces standards to be more open. You really gotta thank them for that, else we would have been living in binary blobbed NaCl or ActiveX applications that has more access to your system due to obscurity.
            It have everything to do with the performance. Back in the days, when Mozila/Firefox was actually good they were in the same situation as now, IE was preinstalled on much larger market share OS (Microsoft Windows) and there was no Android at all. How did they do that? By positivity towards "their product" (browser), administrators would rather install Mozila/Firefox than bother with IE or Opera even (at the time, Opera was not Chromium based, and it was terrible... IMHO at least).

So that is not the reason, take a look at average GNU/Linux user, with many of "standard distributions" (Ubuntu for example) that are coming with Firefox as the default browser, first thing they do is either remove it or just install Chromium or even Chrome. That tells you something, same thing is with most administrators now. Sure, times are different, it's mostly user choice really, but, that "mindshare" has been lost for too many years now..., the only way to re-gain it is to make something people would find a reason to install, and if that happens, they will, trust me, as of now, they have 0 reasons to use Firefox (speaking of average users here).

As for privacy, no, while Chrome does not respect your privacy, again, it's different time now, and Mozila is at fault here as well (remember preinstalled extensions, data mining and whatnot few years ago?). Heck, in some cases it makes more sense to use GNOME Web than Firefox...

We are "thankful", but reality is, Firefox is nowhere near of being competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              Vpn is only for windows users, most of things come to windows before Linux, and now they put resourges in android? nobody uses firefox in android or even windows
              I agree, except that I have to use Firefox to manage my router because it allows me to view websites with an invalid certificate, unlike Chrome/Chromium.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                Am I the only one shocked to learn that they actually have any employees, let alone about 1000?
                Before the great lockdown, the parking lot in front of their Mt. View building was typically well populated (I never did a formal count). At the moment the landlord of the complex has taken advantage of the lockdown to completely tear up the parking lot to improve the site, but neither Mozilla, or Coursera, or Atlassian, have any employees there anyway (maintenance activities is about it).

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
                  What will this mean for Rust?
                  Rust is (mostly) community driven these days. There are (were?) a handful of Mozilla employees working on it, but even if Mozilla disappeared into a puff of smoke Rust would continue because it has achieved sufficient mind-share.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                    200 millions per year for their CEO last year, look at their priorities
                    Please provide sources if you make such a claim. From what I can find, it's rather $427,000 (see https://www.comparably.com/companies...utive-salaries)

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                      Huh? Apparently I don't exist. I use Firefox on both my Android phone and my Windows PC. Hell, our entire University uses Firefox as the default browser system wide.

EDIT: Also, why is everybody dancing on Firefox's grave? Do you really want Google to have a near-monopoly on browsers? Without Firefox, that's what you have. A monoculture is bad for everyone, except perhaps Google stockholders.
                      Last edited by thunderbird32; 11 August 2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X