Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hotaru View Post
    sounds like something
    Change without decent planning can be disastrous and leave long-lasting results, just ask east european countries what happened after the soviet block collapsed and they opened their economy to capitalism without any plan.
    The only nation that did decently and nowadays is not a total shithole is the one that had a plan, Poland.

Comment

Originally posted by Duff~ View Post

100M to antifa.
      Abandon Taiwan.
      Bold statement from Mozilla.
      I thought it was "just" 100k?

Comment

Since Mozilla's upper management role and compensation has been called into question multiple times in this thread I'd like to mention that there will be announcements soon about that too. The cuts affected all the organization and upper management wasn't spared.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Now, how can a web browser identify a miner when it downloads just a binary blob and cannot see its source code ?
          (...)
          If WebAssembly doesn't require the code to come open as HTML / CSS / Javascript that the browser and users can analyze it, I think it will be broken by design
          I don't get your argument, when you install packages on your computer, you get the binary and that's fine. Maybe you would like to improve WebAssembly by asking for the sources at the same time at the binary, but that doesn't make it "broken by design", or every compiled software would be broken...

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
            The question is, WHICH 1/4 got cut? Was it the 1/4 that just sits around jerking off all day and fighting the Social Justice fight instead of actually doing their @#$%ing jobs? Or was it the 1/4 that actually works when at work? Or the 1/4 that didn't fall completely in line with the required groupthink? I suspect it's a lot more likely to be some intersection of the last two than the first one, or the N people associated with garbage like Pocket etc.
            Given the importance of having a competitor to Blink-engine'd browsers, it does worry me that one of the "P.S. Don't worry. I didn't get laid off" blog posts on Planet Mozilla was a post proposing the concept of a browser extension that lets you filter out content that distresses you.

(I'm all for being able to get away from the depressing state of reality, but I don't think deepening our filter bubbles is healthy, civically responsible, or practical. Read a book or play a single-player game.)

That said, it is the newest in a series of extension ideas, with the previous two being very practical ideas for alternative tab management extensions, and we can't all produce winners all the time.

Comment

Mozilla's CEO Michell Baker salary plotted against the market share of Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
                I spent a month making my own web browser
                I always wondered why so many people / project use webkit and not gecko when they need a webengine. In your case, is it only because that's what QtWebEngine uses? Did you consider using Gecko or Servo?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  The only nation that did decently and nowadays is not a total shithole is the one that had a plan, Poland.
                  How did you even say that with a straight face.
                  By what metric?

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post

I always wondered why so many people / project use webkit and not gecko when they need a webengine. In your case, is it only because that's what QtWebEngine uses? Did you consider using Gecko or Servo?
                    I read people saying that (old) Gecko was tied a lot to Firefox and that (new) Gecko/Quantum/Servo missed its occasion to untie itself from Firefox.
                    Meanwhile, Blink can be used in a lot of browsers and qtwebengine can be used in a lot more applications.

Facts, it is harder to build a browser based on Gecko nowadays : http://conkeror.org/Alternatives

Mozilla is not an alternative to Google anymore. I would even say that, under the pretense of being an alternative, they are detrimental to the fight against Google. All they are doing is draining down hopes and efforts toward this goal.
                    Just look at what Mozilla has accomplished the past 10 years if not making Firefox a clone of Chromium and killing off everything that made its success...

Comment

To US-centric, relaying to much on some big businesses located in US, at the mercy of Google or something.
                      But what the heck it opens source anyone in the world can pickup and continue from where they left.

Comment

Working...
                      X