No announcement yet.

Mozilla Laying Off Around A Quarter Of Their Employees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have more than 250 employees? WTF? Where's the "we're an innocent open source project ran buy an innocent foundation" philosophy? That's some industrial bullshit here.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
      Guess they shoulda kept that AntiFa donation.
      100M to antifa.
      Abandon Taiwan.
      Bold statement from Mozilla.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
        A browser shouldn't have to be this freaking complicated. Both Google and Mozilla are writing their own compilers and build tools to support their web browsers. WTF?!
        The reckless, infinite scope of web browsers - Drew DeVault's blog

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Change isn't always better.

Change can also be much worse than staying the course.
          sounds like something the captain of the Titanic would have said after they ran out of lifeboats, to try to convince people that they really didn't want to be in lifeboats anyway.

Comment

That is really quite depressing, especially when I suspect Firefox's days are numbered.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              The management in the Mozilla Foundation have no one else but themselves to blame for the situation they are at right now. The problem is the Covid19? Are you kiding me? That thing was a god send for internet related businesses.
              Yeah - it's not like you don't EXPECT CEOs to spout bare-faced lies when cutting staff, but that was a spectacularly dishonest statement even for that group.

The question is, WHICH 1/4 got cut? Was it the 1/4 that just sits around jerking off all day and fighting the Social Justice fight instead of actually doing their @#$%ing jobs? Or was it the 1/4 that actually works when at work? Or the 1/4 that didn't fall completely in line with the required groupthink? I suspect it's a lot more likely to be some intersection of the last two than the first one, or the N people associated with garbage like Pocket etc.

Of course, it could be that it's actually the toxic subset that's been let go instead, along with the management that's been driving the organization and products in the wrong direction for the last 5 years, freeing Mozilla to return to glory. But I'd bet money that unfortunately it won't be.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                When they are at it, they could also scrap that toxic dictation of what its members and contributors are allowed to think and say in their private time. Mozilla is one of the worst offenders in restricting freedom of speech and opinion.
                Yes they are.

I tried to make the case a few years ago that software is by nature apolitical, and people who disagree politically can still all happily work together on the same project. Or so I thought. The sad fact is that there are people who cannot bear to live in a world with people who disagree with them, and therefore must be silenced, de-platformed, canceled, etc. I was hoping this would get better over time, but it seems to be getting worse.

Comment

I once proposed to Mozilla to offer more privacy focused services, like an email service i.e., where you pay a small fee and get a secure PIM based on open standards. I did this as a proposal ticket where just one person replied something like, wtf, why should Mozilla do that?! Sad...

Comment

It's sad that Mozilla has to lay off 250 people, and it is even more sad that the people who have been running the show and manoeuvred Mozilla into this situation are still there, and the folks who have no fault are let go instead.

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                    When they are at it, they could also scrap that toxic dictation of what its members and contributors are allowed to think and say in their private time. Mozilla is one of the worst offenders in restricting freedom of speech and opinion.
                    Originally posted by treba View Post
                    No it's not. <- Equally valid opinion. Do you have any facts to support your claim?
                    In addition to the Dissenter browser extension that was already mentioned, Mozilla also pushed out their former CEO Brendan Eich for donating his personal money to a constitutional amendment campaign against same-sex marriage.

Qt uses Chromium code for their Qt Web Engine component. I spent a month making my own web browser using said pieces
                    Unfortunately, Google continued working on Chromium and somehow broke the abiliity to redirect image loads from https to my local perm-cache.
                    Or use qtwebkit? Its development is not very active though.

Originally posted by crystall View Post
                    Firefox blocks cryptominers by default: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2019/0...ng-by-default/
                    Unless Mozilla somehow solved the halting problem, I don't think they can block cryptominers specifically. They just enumerate known/alledged cryptominers and block them. We know from decades of experience with antivirus software, that this approach doesn't work and will cause high rate of both false positives and false negatives (for more explanation, see #2 at https://www.ranum.com/security/compu...itorials/dumb/).

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I agree, except that I have to use Firefox to manage my router because it allows me to view websites with an invalid certificate, unlike Chrome/Chromium.
                      Just type 'thisisunsafe' in the Chrome window with the certificate warning. This should unlock the way to proceed with an invalid certificate.

Comment

Working...
                      X