Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goTouch
    replied
    Maybe it is time to donate to people created the software we are using daily. In the down turn of market, it is much harder for free software developers to survive. We don't want to see things happens like Firefox disappears.

It should be possible to add an option to collect some donation when a software has been used for several months.

Leave a comment:

• krOoze
    replied
    Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
    I don't get your argument, when you install packages on your computer, you get the binary and that's fine. Maybe you would like to improve WebAssembly by asking for the sources at the same time at the binary, but that doesn't make it "broken by design", or every compiled software would be broken...
    Not that it is even fair comparison. Binaries are (actual) assembly (which differs per CPU) and are not (historically) sandboxed properly. WebAssembly is more like an intermediate language, which might actually be easier to parse for automated tools than a high-level language.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say Poland is great. I only meant that it is better in a relative way.
    Yea, but it is not quite fair and bit insensitive to compare to states that were ravaged by nationalism and religious unrest in the south (PS: and those are not even technically post-soviet). It is no like Poland "outplaned" itself out of these problems; it simply didn't have them in the first place.
    Otherwise Poland is somewhere down there with Bulgaria and Romania, which is not all that great, relatively speaking.
    Last edited by krOoze; 12 August 2020, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ed31337
    replied
    I always wondered why so many people / project use webkit and not gecko when they need a webengine. In your case, is it only because that's what QtWebEngine uses?
    At the time, Firefox was such a dud speed and rendering-wise that I had zero interest in pursuing any Firefox engine. The Rust content also turns me off because I'd have to pull in a whole other pile of development tools on my computer and pay for all the added data usage keeping that pile of stuff up-to-date on my computer, not to mention climbing the learning curve.

My attempt at a custom web browser was mostly just because I ran into some example code in Qt that looked easy to customize (an assumption that later turned out to be false, thanks to Google's back-handed engineering upstream).

Did you consider using Gecko or Servo?
    I'm a C++ programmer who loves Qt. Why should I consider Gecko or Servo?

If anything, I'm somewhat inclined to try using WebKit, since there are a few third party attempts at keeping Qt WebKit alive. Hopefully WebKit isn't likely to have Google pushing dubious "security" features and bloat into it upstream.

Of course, data wise, it might be cheapest just to start diff-ing the Qt Web Engine source code from Qt 5.14 and the prior known good source code to find what Google changed (I already have copies of said source code from downloading Qt source). Given the difficulty it takes to compile though, I haven't been super excited to invest the effort yet.
    Last edited by ed31337; 12 August 2020, 11:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    This probably should refer to web engines. There are many browser implementations, e.g. the fairly decent Gnome Web.
    Of course, none can touch the ecosystem/featureset of Firefox or Chrome.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by krOoze View Post
    How did you even say that with a straight face.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say Poland is great. I only meant that it is better in a relative way.

Leave a comment:

• crystall
    replied

I always wondered why so many people / project use webkit and not gecko when they need a webengine. In your case, is it only because that's what QtWebEngine uses? Did you consider using Gecko or Servo?
    Embedding Gecko is a lot harder than WebKit. Downplaying embedding was for long a deliberate decision (which I violently disagreed with). Lately we have reversed course on it but we've got a lot of ground to cover to match WebKit there.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Deserved for using Rust tbh.

Leave a comment:

• onicsis
    replied
    To US-centric, relaying to much on some big businesses located in US, at the mercy of Google or something.
    But what the heck it opens source anyone in the world can pickup and continue from where they left.

Leave a comment:

• YamashitaRen
    replied

I always wondered why so many people / project use webkit and not gecko when they need a webengine. In your case, is it only because that's what QtWebEngine uses? Did you consider using Gecko or Servo?
    I read people saying that (old) Gecko was tied a lot to Firefox and that (new) Gecko/Quantum/Servo missed its occasion to untie itself from Firefox.
    Meanwhile, Blink can be used in a lot of browsers and qtwebengine can be used in a lot more applications.

Facts, it is harder to build a browser based on Gecko nowadays : http://conkeror.org/Alternatives

Mozilla is not an alternative to Google anymore. I would even say that, under the pretense of being an alternative, they are detrimental to the fight against Google. All they are doing is draining down hopes and efforts toward this goal.
    Just look at what Mozilla has accomplished the past 10 years if not making Firefox a clone of Chromium and killing off everything that made its success...

Leave a comment:

• krOoze
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    The only nation that did decently and nowadays is not a total shithole is the one that had a plan, Poland.
    How did you even say that with a straight face.
    By what metric?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X