No announcement yet.

Linux 5.8 Released With AMD Energy Driver, F2FS LZO-RLE, IBM POWER10 Booting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.8 Released With AMD Energy Driver, F2FS LZO-RLE, IBM POWER10 Booting

Phoronix: Linux 5.8 Released With AMD Energy Driver, F2FS LZO-RLE, IBM POWER10 Booting

Linus Torvalds was debating up to the last minutes today of whether to opt for Linux 5.8-rc8 or go ahead and release Linux 5.8 as stable... He opted for Linux 5.8 splashing down on this historic day...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Alex Deucher (1): Revert "drm/amdgpu: Fix NULL dereference in dpm sysfs handlers"

Good news, the commit that broke overclocking on AMD gpu's on the last 5.8-rc7 has been reverted just in time for 5.8.0.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      Alex Deucher (1): Revert "drm/amdgpu: Fix NULL dereference in dpm sysfs handlers"

Good news, the commit that broke overclocking on AMD gpu's on the last 5.8-rc7 has been reverted just in time for 5.8.0.
      Can confirm that overclocking works again with 5.8.0. Was broken in 5.7.11 and 5.7.12 kernels too.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post

Can confirm that overclocking works again with 5.8.0. Was broken in 5.7.11 and 5.7.12 kernels too.
        Yeah, I'm expecting 5.7.13 to include the reverted commit as well.

For those on the latest 5.7 who can't wait, here's a patch to revert the commit: https://pastebin.com/raw/vqAxx6LS

Comment

Booting with the new kernel, my Haswell seems to be stuck on the lowest clock state. It's possible I've done something stupid, so I'll go and double-check a few things…

EDIT: Found the problem. For some reason my kernel config had "userspace" set as the default CPU Frequency governor, which was being automatically changed to "powersave" at boot-time on older kernels. Changing the kernel config should fix it…
          Last edited by PluMGMK; 03 August 2020, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Anyone having problems running Virtualbox guests with the 5.8 kernel? Neither my W10 or Manjaro guests will run. Something error about the kernel dkms driver not working.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
              Anyone having problems running Virtualbox guests with the 5.8 kernel? Neither my W10 or Manjaro guests will run. Something error about the kernel dkms driver not working.
              VirtualBox is notoriously slow for supporting new mainline kernels.

But I can confirm the latest testbuild is now working with 5.8.0.

You can download it from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds and scroll down to "Latest 6.1.x test builds" and click the Linux 64-bit

or visit the direct link: https://www.virtualbox.org/download/...inux_amd64.run

Installation is simple, but first uninstall your old VirtualBox (you won't lose your VMs) by whichever means you installed it (via apt for example).

After it's downloaded and you've uninstalled the prior version:

1. chmod +x VirtualBox-6.1.13-139685-Linux_amd64.run
              2. sudo ./VirtualBox-6.1.13-139685-Linux_amd64.run
              3. (optional) To uninstall, you can use sudo ./VirtualBox-6.1.13-139685-Linux_amd64.run uninstall

And you're good to go. I find the testbuilds very stable for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

VirtualBox is notoriously slow for supporting new mainline kernels.

But I can confirm the latest testbuild is now working with 5.8.0.

You can download it from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds and scroll down to "Latest 6.1.x test builds" and click the Linux 64-bit

or visit the direct link: https://www.virtualbox.org/download/...inux_amd64.run

Installation is simple, but first uninstall your old VirtualBox (you won't lose your VMs) by whichever means you installed it (via apt for example).

After it's downloaded and you've uninstalled the prior version:

1. chmod +x VirtualBox-6.1.13-139685-Linux_amd64.run
                2. sudo ./VirtualBox-6.1.13-139685-Linux_amd64.run
                3. (optional) To uninstall, you can use sudo ./VirtualBox-6.1.13-139685-Linux_amd64.run uninstall

And you're good to go. I find the testbuilds very stable for what it's worth.
                Thanks, that's helpful. Good to know that Virtualbox is slow in adopting new kernels.

Comment

The best feature is definitely the inclusive terminology and the 5% performance boost it incurs.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post
                    The best feature is definitely the inclusive terminology and the 5% performance boost it incurs.
                    What?

Comment

Working...
                    X