Microsoft + Oculus Shipping First Conformant OpenXR 1.0 Implementations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft + Oculus Shipping First Conformant OpenXR 1.0 Implementations

Phoronix: Microsoft + Oculus Shipping First Conformant OpenXR 1.0 Implementations

The Khronos Group announced this morning that Microsoft and Oculus are the first two companies shipping conformant OpenXR 1.0 implementations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Microsoft adhering to open standards? So their linuxfication has truly begun:

🠱 That is a real wallpaper from their developing channel, BTW.

Comment

I look forward to seeing some actual implementations of this standard.

As it stands OpenHMD has been the only project doing real work on providing VR to open platforms. Monado was close in theory but it was so unportable for what it provides (a few sensor readings and some values to plug into a lens correction shader XD).

In the ideal world Valve's OpenVR would have an actual "Open" implementation haha. Bunch of clowns.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 28 July 2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        That is a real wallpaper from their developing channel, BTW.
        Looks good, can't wait for it to reach plebs on stable channel.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          Microsoft adhering to open standards? So their linuxfication has truly begun:

🠱 That is a real wallpaper from their developing channel, BTW.
          Semi troll response: That's almost gorgeous.. so I'd expect the 5% that's the pig's ear came from Canonical (the bar doesn't match the style, and I'd worry about it ending up looking like a contusion turning necrotic). Aside from the colors, which are user configurable, most people can't tell what's different from that screen shot and the current task and start bar layout (it's pretty subtle). Hint: Compare icons on the start panel.

Comment

Still waiting for a usable AR virtual monitor/TV/screen/desktop.

Comment

Does HTC Vive headsets work well on Linux yet? Aren't we still waiting on improvements there from the ridiculously delayed Xorg update? (which has me wondering how support will be with Wayland too I guess..)

Comment

Hopefully the upcoming HP G2 Reverb will support openXR, as I want to use that later on Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                X