Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Sound Subsystem Begins Cleaning Up Its Terminology To Meet Inclusive Guidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

Aaah, a hit dog will holler. To call someone a communist if he *is* a communist is not dehumanizing. Neither is it to point out an enemy.
    Sure a spade is a spade. Naming someone as an enemy is to dehumanise them (they are no longer a person, they are the enemy) because we, as the human race, do not like doing bad things to people, because enemies must be destroyed!

Also, your use of communism implies you believe it is a big bad thing. In and of itself it is not inherently bad - it's just another way that people can work together (capitalism being another that I believe you are quite partial to). Specific implementations of these systems however may be the what you are railing against.

I implore you to take a step back from the edge and try to understand why people are doing things the way they are. Sometimes it is just stupid. othertimes there are much deeper meanings

Comment

• What's next, 2-2=1?

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Can you think a bit more before posting this?

Just tell me how is it useful to change well-known terminology (blacklist/whitelist, master/slave) by "politically" "correct" pro-SJW terminology (allowlist/denylist).

It isn't useful at all! Anybody should know what blacklist and whitelist really mean before doing all of this... like, it has nothing to do with race or skin color, come on...
        Allow / deny list actually is better terminology. Why do you care so much anyway?
        1. You never would have known this would have happened if it wasn't a news post
        2. You've probably never even seen the related code
        3. You've probably never touched the affected documentation

Truth time... Have you even seen the patchset? I'm willing to bet you haven't..
        Last edited by Auzy; 22 July 2020, 05:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auzy View Post
          Why do you care so much anyway?
          You should ask that to the people who proposed this "inclusive" terminology.

Comment

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

it's all digital now old man, people don't screw around with chalk on a black rock sheet anymore
            Are you sure? Did you count the following?

- developing countries
            - schools with lack of digital facilities (they exist even in developed countries)

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Are you sure?
              I meant that chalk boards are not the norm anymore, not that they ceased existing.

Comment

• Originally posted by gnulinux82

See: #76

Claiming that the issue is simply "changing some terminology" is just gaslighting at this point. They're testing the waters to see what they can get away with and also filling up the mailing list with pointless, politicized nonsense.

This kind of thing was the exact reason why the #5 most prolific LLVM contributor resigned, so don't try to come with that "haha you probably don't even code" bullshit.
                No, that's NOT. I found his resignation post: https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llv...ay/122922.html His main complaint seems more related to Outreachy, which offers internships based on sex, and nationality, so certain cultures were excluded (which he interpreted as favoritism for certain people). Furthermore, that happened years ago.. Don't you have any more recent examples? Thing's have changed a lot since then...

Furthermore, you have NO RIGHT talking on behalf of contributing developers to the kernel. You're not arguing on behalf of them, but arguing AGAINST them. You're not even an affected party by this change, but you feel your opinion is stronger than theirs.. Why do some users think they know more about the development team than the developers in charge (are you friends with Pal666 by any chance?)

Perhaps you'd like to complain directly to the manager, Karen?

Or would you prefer to offer a patchset which reverts the changes (which would be very easy to make). We are awaiting your Kernel tree branch which reverts these changes, to fight the evil "SJW" people lol.
                Last edited by Auzy; 22 July 2020, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auzy View Post
                  Perhaps you'd like to complain directly to the manager, Karen?

Or would you prefer to offer a patchset which reverts the changes (which would be very easy to make). We are awaiting your Kernel tree branch which reverts these changes, to fight the evil "SJW" people lol.
                  I know using memes is easy because you don't need to have logical arguments anymore and you can ridiculous people without much effort, but I don't see how it fitt.

Because you ask if he or she, he sended patches to kernel or talks here so 99% it's a he, want's to talk to a manager, which A would not be possibel and B he not asked that. So you put in his mouth that he wants to get somebody fired, while obviously it's the opposite such speech policing and other SJW crap tries to cancel people and get them fired.

Not to mention that as male he is basically out of the definition of Karen:
                  Karen is ANY woman, left or right, who parrots what the media pumps into her as though it's life and death gospel, and who can't do anything without first being instructed by some authority. AND who often tries to serve as an instrument of that authority.

1. he is a male
                  2. he says the opposite of what media pumps in her.
                  3. he is pretty much against the left wing authoritarian movement.

While SJW often try to get people canceled, one of the last victims of this Karens was Richard Stallman. So if you don't want the mainstream SJW with much power to have the power to fire / cancel people and force them to do stupid shit by thread of cancellation you are fighting against karens. Especially when most of the SJWs are female and therefor fill also that checkbox of karen.

Comment

• Originally posted by gnulinux82

I have submitted many patches to the kernel. You haven't. And no, I'm not going to dox myself by proving it.

I won't address the rest of your post as it's just pathetic, low IQ trolling.
                    Yeah. you won't address the fact you exaggerated about the LLVM developer.. And you have no recent examples. And, of course you won't dox yourself.

And this change is REALLY BAD, but you're not motivated to reverse the patchset.

Yes, Outstanding argument..

Furthermore, terminology like "SJW" oddly enough, tends to be only common only in one kind of social group.

In this case, the developers of this team have decided to make this change, and it's their choice to make.. You never would have even noticed it without the Phoronix news article. It's not a big deal..

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

I know using memes is easy because you don't need to have logical arguments anymore and you can ridiculous people without much effort, but I don't see how it fitt.

Because you ask if he or she, he sended patches to kernel or talks here so 99% it's a he, want's to talk to a manager, which A would not be possibel and B he not asked that. So you put in his mouth that he wants to get somebody fired, while obviously it's the opposite such speech policing and other SJW crap tries to cancel people and get them fired.

Not to mention that as male he is basically out of the definition of Karen:

1. he is a male
                      2. he says the opposite of what media pumps in her.
                      3. he is pretty much against the left wing authoritarian movement.

While SJW often try to get people canceled, one of the last victims of this Karens was Richard Stallman. So if you don't want the mainstream SJW with much power to have the power to fire / cancel people and force them to do stupid shit by thread of cancellation you are fighting against karens. Especially when most of the SJWs are female and therefor fill also that checkbox of karen.
                      Err, actually, that's not even close to the definition of the meme.. And, both of your arguments revolved around the term "SJW", which is also a meme...

He's complaining about policies which actually don't affect him at all, and demanding they change it.. Like walking into a Supermarket and shouting at the staff because he doesn't like the store logo (like a typical Karen). Nobody is forcing him to use Linux, and he is welcome to revert the patches (they're very simple patches)...

IF you read the article, you'll find a link to the patch-set, and you'll agree immediately. You're literally turning a small naming change designed to improve the community, into some weird American political thing. If you seriously think it's some left wing conspiracy, then, I'd suggest you need to go on holiday, so you can put things back into perspective..

If he's not willing to maintain a code-set to revert the changes (which would be EASY), it firmly proves that the changes don't impact him negatively in any way, and his reasoning is wrong and the effect of the changes on him personally are exaggerated.

Furthermore, if you ignore the politics, Denylist/Allowlist are far more suitable terms anyway (blacklist/whitelist wouldn't literally translate well to many other languages).
                      Last edited by Auzy; 22 July 2020, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X