Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Sound Subsystem Begins Cleaning Up Its Terminology To Meet Inclusive Guidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [TV] View Post

On OSS4, the nearest equivalent would be vmix - Virtual Mixer audio Driver.
    No, PulseAudio can sit on top of OSS. ALSA has a built-in mixer (although this wasn't always the case) but PulseAudio is more than just a mixer. You can use both OSS and ALSA without PulseAudio, but you cannot use PulseAudio without OSS or ALSA.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Ah well there's the crux of the matter: hardly anybody thinks they're wrong. Even the Nazis felt they were taking the righteous path (not all of them, of course). All the more reason why this "us vs them" mentality is so destructive. So my point here is: if adjusting the voting system to more accurately represent the will of the populous is something you (not specifically you) are worried about because your preferred party will lose as a result, perhaps that means that party should lose. It means that party learned to take advantage (or abuse, depending on your perspective) the flaws in the existing system. Who you vote as president should represent the largest amount of people in a country. The problem with the US is it's too big for its own good; it isn't possible to please everyone, especially when the 2 biggest parties demonize everything the other doesn't agree with, or votes to spite of the other party.
      I agree, except for the president part.
      I wish the best human for the job would win, whether he/she is liked by most or not seems fairly irrelevant to me.
      Of course that's too unlikely to happen so your way works better.

I agree, though it should be an odd number; even 3 would be enough. If there were 4 major parties, you'd basically have radical left, left, right, and radical right. About 20% of the US population today is radical in either direction.
      I thought about the odd number thing too, but 3 seems to simply for good/neutral/evil so not fun enough. Let's say 5 then?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

Here in Germany and I think in most places in europe we have coalitions, heck here the president has nearly 0 power he just can refuse to sign laws when he thinks they are against the constitution which maybe once or twice happend, but the parlament can ultimatively replace him so even if that would happen he can just be replaced.

And in the Parlament you have to get majority, that means if 1 party is the biggest but has only 40% of the house they need 10% more votes from other parties to sign a bill, to get those they have to make some consessions to at least 1 other party, usually that is not made bill by bill but with coalitions which is basically a contract where 2 or 3 parties come together and compromise on 10 or 20 laws and then they implement this 10 or 20 laws in the following years.

So that means that if you have 2 smaller parties with 10% and 1 bigger with 30% this 3 parties can coalite and that means that a small party with 10% or even 5% can have influence on laws. And that gives parties also the opportunity to grow, because 1998 as example the first time the green party was together with let's call it a Bernie Sanders party with some neoliberal tendencies , the Bernie Sanders party (SPD) hat >30% votes back then nearly 40% and the greens maybe 8%, now the green party has around 20-25% and is the 2nd biggest party, and the SPD only has 10-15%. So together with the left party with another 10% they could get enough votes to vote for a green party canceler.

Last election neither the "left" parties nor the "right" parties had enough votes, and the 2 big parties was tired to coalite again (why the SPD lost so much votes) so the Christian (slightly right) party tried to coalite with the greens and the FDP (libertarians), but the libertarian leader out of complete suprise just quit the speeches and killed it, because he apperently deeply hates Angela Merkel or something. Nobody understood why, they would legalized weed if nothing else and maybe tried out some basic income stuff, if that would have happened. Now the libertarians fight to get over 5% again.

To be honest I am no expert on the french system, but if you have like 10 candidates and the top 2 get 55% and then they get a seperate 2nd vote round where people are forced to pick one of those 2 is stupid, because then the person that only got 30-35% of the votes the first round wins the election so 60-70% voted against that party they get no real representation. Their will gets completely ignored they get bullied to pick one of the 2 horrible parties. That is even worse than the american system, at least your vote for the green party counts in the end, there is no 2nd round where you are literally forced to vote for 1 of the 2 big ones... Coalitions are much better, that leads to laws that at least partially make more people happy, everybody get's something they like.
        Ooooh I see, thanks for the explanation, it was very interesting!

What do you think of the Swiss system for presidency? I don't know of any other country with a similar one (though it's not like I know a lot of political systems...).

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

The point is that language permanently reproduces cliches and stereotypes - aside from what a speaker intends.
          Ok so Linux terminology is being changed to be more thoughtful towards racists.. So they don't get confused.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
            I agree, except for the president part.
            I wish the best human for the job would win, whether he/she is liked by most or not seems fairly irrelevant to me.
            Of course that's too unlikely to happen so your way works better.
            Well yeah there's that too, but what a lot of people seem to forget (including Trump...) is the president is not some unquestionable authority with infinite power. The president is supposed to be a publicized representative of the people and an ambassador of the country. No matter how well-intended or corrupt he/she is, there's a slim chance that anything he/she "promises" won't actually get done. So, the more important thing is to have someone that is likeable to the citizens, as well as foreign leaders. Congress does the real work.
            I thought about the odd number thing too, but 3 seems to simply for good/neutral/evil so not fun enough. Let's say 5 then?
            lol well, good/neural/evil is a matter of perspective. Like I said, nobody thinks they're on the evil side. The problem with 5 is with that much fragmentation, the party that gets the fewest amount of votes likely can't survive unless they manage to be evenly divided throughout congress and state representatives.

Comment

So, it's best to just dial down the hate, ignore the annoying trends of SJWs, and just go ahead and say/do what you want despite their cries.
              That is impossible. They actively try to get us to join their trap, with sadly, success.

I am not talking to you anymore here. What about we get back to work?

Comment

Well yeah there's that too, but what a lot of people seem to forget (including Trump...) is the president is not some unquestionable authority with infinite power. The president is supposed to be a publicized representative of the people and an ambassador of the country. No matter how well-intended or corrupt he/she is, there's a slim chance that anything he/she "promises" won't actually get done. So, the more important thing is to have someone that is likeable to the citizens, as well as foreign leaders. Congress does the real work.
                I still don't know if being likeable is important.
                I do think though that not being hateable is, as you wouldn't want your president to anger too much an unstable foreign power with easy access to WMD.
                Similarly, easy to work with is important to not end up in isolation.
                I mean you can dislike someone for whatever reason, while still having some form of respect for other reasons.

Comment

[QUOTE=Auzy;n1195349]

At least Audio has gotten MUCH better.. eSound/Arts/Alsa days were a TOTAL nightmare.

The only real problem we have is JACK/Low Latency, and Pipewire will hopefully fix that (it's expected to be a drop-in for Pulseaudio long term, but will complete the picture). It's actually really exciting to see them finish the last few parts of Linux which were lacking (Wayland is next).

Just wondering what is the problem with JACK/Low-Latency you're referring to? Usually I see people dislike Pulseaudio rather than JACK. And regarding Low-Latency, JACK is designed for low-latency workloads. I've used JACK with the Ubuntu standard kernel, the RT-Preempt, and Low-Latency variants and it works well on studio or commodity stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
                    Very good info. Can you provide link to your channel? I had a lot of problems with music recording on Linux, even Audacity doesn't work (both PulseAudio and ALSA) when there are more than 2 tracks in a project. Thats why I still didn't sell my copy of Windows 10. When I last time tried to use JACK I had to kill PulseAudio and vice versa (I have one sound card) and it was very frustrating. Maybe situation is different now?
                    I don't understand your issue clearly regarding more than 2 tracks in the project. JACK and Pulseaudio can be used together though through several methods. On my desktop I'm using multiple sound-cards, but I have an HP laptop where they work together fine.
                    In my video I detail how to use Pulseaudio's JACK modules. Basically JACK takes over the audio-interface, and through pavucontrol (Pulseaudio Volume Control) you simply direct Firefox/Chrome/VLC's output to the JACK Sinks/Sources.
                    I hope my video is helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NxWtDSa-RQ

Comment

• Originally posted by boxie View Post

well, that's certainly name calling - I doubt many Americans would ever care for governmental communism (also - please stop dehumanising people and turning them into enemies - no rational discussion can be had with "them" - but you can with other americans)
                      Aaah, a hit dog will holler. To call someone a communist if he *is* a communist is not dehumanizing. Neither is it to point out an enemy.

Comment

Working...
                      X