Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Sound Subsystem Begins Cleaning Up Its Terminology To Meet Inclusive Guidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

btw I looked a bit more in the speech from 1984 and the correct wording for blacklist would then be unwhitelist, they somehow get the lingo not 100% correct as they try to implement the 1984 instruction manual

Comment

Originally posted by kuco View Post
      This thread turned into the expected shitshow. All this "us vs. them" bullshit. Right vs Left. Liberals vs Convervatives. Black vs White. Barcelona vs Madrid. Sith vs Jedi.
      Kinda expected in an IT-forum. Binary thinking.

Do you still have to identify with some meaningless group-ideology to feel confident? Highschool all over again?

My opinion on the topic:
      I think the changes are unnecessary. But who cares really. Won't change anything. But I do understand the arguments for it. Language is influencing the way we think (and the other way around). Maybe there is a positive longterm impact. Maybe not. Meh. Not worth discussing really.
      Agreed. Very much too binary, we are all people, we like things but we are not so different from one another.

..but I don't think it is influencing anything.. What it is, is a political movement Linux wanted to take part in by showing they are "doing their part" even if it's a totally meaningless gesture. It's like Pandora (or other business that have no customer interaction) sending out a response to Covid ... The message of the day is.. when bad shif happens in the world.. just get on that PR Train!
      Last edited by k1e0x; 21 July 2020, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by krOoze View Post
        So that's why they closed the schools. Can't use blackboards nor whiteboards.
        it's all digital now old man, people don't screw around with chalk on a black rock sheet anymore

Comment

C'mon guys ! this cannot be happening ! there are a lot problems that hasnt been solved and developers are taking actions to this stupid trend ?

Comment

Originally posted by kuco View Post
            This thread turned into the expected shitshow. All this "us vs. them" bullshit. Right vs Left. Liberals vs Convervatives. Black vs White. Barcelona vs Madrid. Sith vs Jedi.
            Kinda expected in an IT-forum. Binary thinking.

Do you still have to identify with some meaningless group-ideology to feel confident? Highschool all over again?
            You'll find plenty of binary thinking of Facebook and twitter and whatever the kids use, it's not related to people having understanding of IT.

Also yes, for most people it's important to feel part of a group, like all sports fans and whatnot. Again, normal and expected behaviour for human beings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
              Linux is a joke we have audio is crap compared to win or mac and let's not talk about video driver and hardware acceleration and this what kernel developer wastes time to fix?

like other articles, I think anyone can handle kernel development manager better than Linus Torvalds at this point if he thinks this is important and will fix anything
              I agree. But not just Linux.... it feels like everything is decaying:

- Windows is going down the spying path
              - macOS is fading away into restricted hardware
              - Linux going down the SJW route
              - FreeBSD... do I even have to mention this?

Comment

Originally posted by Auzy View Post
                Patches like this are low cost, and probably have few regressions. If it helps avoid toxicity towards even a single Linux developer and encourages them to fix a single bug, it's probably worth the time..
                Can you think a bit more before posting this?

Just tell me how is it useful to change well-known terminology (blacklist/whitelist, master/slave) by "politically" "correct" pro-SJW terminology (allowlist/denylist).

It isn't useful at all! Anybody should know what blacklist and whitelist really mean before doing all of this... like, it has nothing to do with race or skin color, come on...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Can you think a bit more before posting this?

Just tell me how is it useful to change well-known terminology (blacklist/whitelist, master/slave) by "politically" "correct" pro-SJW terminology (allowlist/denylist).

It isn't useful at all! Anybody should know what blacklist and whitelist really mean before doing all of this... like, it has nothing to do with race or skin color, come on...
                  Where did he say anything about usefulness? Auzy isn't wrong - it's just changing a few words to appease a minority of weak-minded snowflakes. These changes may not be useful, or even a necessity, but it doesn't hurt anything either. So, to get in a hissy-fit that "blacklist" is replaced with "denylist" is equally as stupid as wanting to change an etymologically inoffensive word in the first place. It's not that the change should happen, but your life isn't made worse as a result of it either.

So: get over it. The world sucks, and as much as SJWs don't have anything better to do than invent victimization, what exactly do you think you are accomplishing right now, other than fueling hate?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    So: get over it. The world sucks, and as much as SJWs don't have anything better to do than invent victimization, what exactly do you think you are accomplishing right now, other than fueling hate?
                    Are you falling for the trap too?

Hate towards people who want to corrupt the world and turn us into monkeys?

Comment

Make Open Sound System (OSS) great again!

Comment

Working...
                      X