Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Sound Subsystem Begins Cleaning Up Its Terminology To Meet Inclusive Guidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Sound Subsystem Begins Cleaning Up Its Terminology To Meet Inclusive Guidelines

Phoronix: Linux Sound Subsystem Begins Cleaning Up Its Terminology To Meet Inclusive Guidelines

Merged just over one week ago to the mainline kernel were inclusive terminology guidelines following the recent discussion among upstream developers. The Linux sound subsystem has begun preparing patches for Linux 5.9 to overhaul their naming conventions as a result...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Audio on Linux can still be a pain in the ass, but at least it won't offend you now

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
      Audio on Linux can still be a pain in the ass, but at least it won't offend you now
      Yes, You're right ^^ In my opinion audio is the weakest part of current Linux ecosystem (I'm waiting for PipeWire, I hope that it will bring significant improve to this case), but I see that maintainers prefer to waste a time for some stupid name changes... Really they want to change names all the time when someone will say that generic word is something offending?!

BTW. In near future some countries will be back to pictographic writing systems, because all standard words will be banned :P

Comment

I liked that TCP Wrapper (hosts_access) used this terminology for a really long time. Allow/Deny terminology makes more sense to me regardless of political correctness.

I hope functional correctness will get some attention too. Anyone know what happened to KLANG?

Comment

For the love of Gandhi!!! Liberalism really is a mental illness.

Comment

I'm reading this while I'm compiling Ffmpeg on a Raspberry Pi Zero, to get MOC to work with Hifiberry audio card. At the moment, Alsa, Pulse, Jack are a mess. This post gives me a bit of hope...

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
              Well, the original plan was to put in an advanced AI that would blacklist any words that were considered non-politically correct so your audio was guaranteed to be all-woke all-the-time.

But then they realized that was ALSO politically incorrect!

Comment

This is all great and wonderful, but remember that the GIMP is still going to be called the GIMP until 3.0 releases. Which is to say, forever.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                  Except this really isn't liberalism; it's more like "illiberalism," if that's actually a word.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                    Conservatism is even more of a mental illness.

Comment

Working...
                    X