Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Sound Subsystem Begins Cleaning Up Its Terminology To Meet Inclusive Guidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aryma

dehumanising ?

if you are less then functioning of the human being then you deserve to be dehumanised
    So you would be Ok with me dehumanising you? I am sure I could take the perspective if I really tried - something like "People who do not demonstrate the human trait of caring for others are therefore not human" sound reasonable, don't you think?

Comment

This thread turned into the expected shitshow. All this "us vs. them" bullshit. Right vs Left. Liberals vs Convervatives. Black vs White. Barcelona vs Madrid. Sith vs Jedi.
      Kinda expected in an IT-forum. Binary thinking.

Do you still have to identify with some meaningless group-ideology to feel confident? Highschool all over again?

My opinion on the topic:
      I think the changes are unnecessary. But who cares really. Won't change anything. But I do understand the arguments for it. Language is influencing the way we think (and the other way around). Maybe there is a positive longterm impact. Maybe not. Meh. Not worth discussing really.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
        Audio on Linux can still be a pain in the ass, but at least it won't offend you now
        Can't wait until all those commits are in place and the world is finally fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
          Linux is a joke we have audio is crap compared to win or mac and let's not talk about video driver and hardware acceleration and this what kernel developer wastes time to fix?

like other articles, I think anyone can handle kernel development manager better than Linus Torvalds at this point if he thinks this is important and will fix anything
          Linux Audio is actually in the final stages of getting fixed now. Redhat is working on Pipewire, which should hopefully make low latency seamless. I don't think our audio is in a poor state anymore tbh (we actually finally have professional audio tools for Linux)

Patches like this are low cost, and probably have few regressions. If it helps avoid toxicity towards even a single Linux developer and encourages them to fix a single bug, it's probably worth the time..

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
            Linux is a joke we have audio is crap compared to win or mac and let's not talk about video driver and hardware acceleration and this what kernel developer wastes time to fix?

like other articles, I think anyone can handle kernel development manager better than Linus Torvalds at this point if he thinks this is important and will fix anything
            Linux audio is a joke how? There are recording studios that use Linux/JACK. I record and produce music on Linux. There's enough interest that Bitwig Studio, Reaper, Harrison Mixbus, Traktion, and ReNoise are all on Linux now.. With JACK & LADISH you can set up intricate audio-processing tool chains that use both Linux and Windows software, save them, and stand them back up the next time. And you can sync separate suites with JACK Transport. There's even WineASIO for running Windows-ASIO specific plug-ins.
            I have a Focusrite Scarlet studio interface with broken drivers for Windows10, but Linux runs it flawlessly out of the box.
            Not to mention Pulseaudio and JACK can run network audio with little configuration.

And Linus doesn't believe in any of this PC-crap. He probably just doing it to keep drama out of the workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by gnulinux82
              ...and just like that, every sane post in this thread was deleted.

Nothing to see here guys.
              You mean your bullshit images were removed? You are not better than sjw, you just have a different target.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                if you vote 3rd party A it basically don't count
                This is a self fulfilling prophecy, because people keep parroting/believing this, it goes on.
                Sure the road is much much harder for anyone outside of those 2 gangs, I think in part because of Ross Perot.
                Yet Bill Walker, Jesse Ventura, Angus King, Orland Loomis and others proved it is feasible to at least attain the rank of Governor (of course others also attained the rank of Senator/Congressman); maybe it means that some states are more stuck on that idea than others and it's all up to them to wake up?

Comment

Originally posted by Auzy View Post

Linux Audio is actually in the final stages of getting fixed now. Redhat is working on Pipewire, which should hopefully make low latency seamless. I don't think our audio is in a poor state anymore tbh (we actually finally have professional audio tools for Linux)

Patches like this are low cost, and probably have few regressions. If it helps avoid toxicity towards even a single Linux developer and encourages them to fix a single bug, it's probably worth the time..
                  As I see it, whatever makes the devs feel they are making the world a better place is fine by me. This motivation is why we have a lot of open source in the first place. It's funny to think we are entitled to cherry pick the motivation of open source contributors: yes, we'll have these contributions you did late on a work night, but these ones ...no thanks, take them back. It's not our call to assess if these patches are worth the time; it's not our time, and no one is charging us a cent for it.

Of course, if people opposed to these patches are actually contributors to linux sound, then they do have some say ... but why would they say it on Phoronix?

Comment

Well, I can't say I'm surprised at the amount of neckbeard reactionaries taking offense here.

Comment

Originally posted by gnulinux82

How would renaming blacklist to blocklist possibly do that? This stuff is actually increasing hostility towards these people, not reducing it.

The worst thing of all is that it's always some leftist taking offence on someone else's behalf, when that other person doesn't even really care and actually just finds the whole thing belittling and patronizing.

I'm not even white and someone in this thread (probably a white liberal) has already accused me of benefiting from "white privilege". These people are clowns.
                      Spot on.

Comment

Working...
                      X