Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Sound Subsystem Begins Cleaning Up Its Terminology To Meet Inclusive Guidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Sound Subsystem Begins Cleaning Up Its Terminology To Meet Inclusive Guidelines

Phoronix: Linux Sound Subsystem Begins Cleaning Up Its Terminology To Meet Inclusive Guidelines

Merged just over one week ago to the mainline kernel were inclusive terminology guidelines following the recent discussion among upstream developers. The Linux sound subsystem has begun preparing patches for Linux 5.9 to overhaul their naming conventions as a result...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nclusive-Terms

Audio on Linux can still be a pain in the ass, but at least it won't offend you now

Comment

after all these years, we finally figured out why developers and corporations didn't want to help improve linux audio and provide drivers. it was because of words they, themselves, took out of context. clearly, this, surely, will improve the quality of audio on linux by a factor of 10! just look at mozilla with how purging master and slave out of their code base years ago made firefox great again! the moment they purged out master and slave firefox adoption rate skyrocketed up to 100% market share!

today is a good day for linux audio, and all of those who had mental break downs from their own inability to understand context, perception, and their lack of basic sanity. the world will heal. people will walk out of the shadows and embrace this new found inclusivity that apparently linux audio never had. developers who paused when they saw blacklist, whitelist, and slave in the code base because they questioned themselves by going "hmmm, big brain think time, does this make me a racist and do i have an urge to send people to work in cotton fields? am i oppressing helpless marginalized minorities by triggering vietnam style memories of actions done to people with certain skin color centuries ago?" and came to the conclusion that hmm maybe they should back away from this project and work at microsoft instead, will now be able to join the linux audio development team and make linux audio, great again!

i am so happy we finally figured out why audio on linux was such a pain after all these years. i wait eagerly to test the new clarity of my linux sound once this work is complete. i hope one day we can also start purging other discriminatory words and quite frankly oppressive words such as child, parent, kill, mother, father, primary, secondary, stop, halt, and master from the linux audo code base as well.

we want to make sure the code base lives in a bubble world and don't have to worry about people engaging in big brain think to understand context. let alone take the perception of what we mean the wrong way. for the first time in my adult life, i am proud of linux community. truly tackling the most important issues of our technological time. our grandchildren will look back in time at this very moment and go "this was the moment we solved racism."

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
        Audio on Linux can still be a pain in the ass, but at least it won't offend you now
        Yes, You're right ^^ In my opinion audio is the weakest part of current Linux ecosystem (I'm waiting for PipeWire, I hope that it will bring significant improve to this case), but I see that maintainers prefer to waste a time for some stupid name changes... Really they want to change names all the time when someone will say that generic word is something offending?!

BTW. In near future some countries will be back to pictographic writing systems, because all standard words will be banned :P

Comment

I liked that TCP Wrapper (hosts_access) used this terminology for a really long time. Allow/Deny terminology makes more sense to me regardless of political correctness.

I hope functional correctness will get some attention too. Anyone know what happened to KLANG?

Comment

For the love of Gandhi!!! Liberalism really is a mental illness.

Comment

I'm reading this while I'm compiling Ffmpeg on a Raspberry Pi Zero, to get MOC to work with Hifiberry audio card. At the moment, Alsa, Pulse, Jack are a mess. This post gives me a bit of hope...

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                Well, the original plan was to put in an advanced AI that would blacklist any words that were considered non-politically correct so your audio was guaranteed to be all-woke all-the-time.

But then they realized that was ALSO politically incorrect!

Comment

This is all great and wonderful, but remember that the GIMP is still going to be called the GIMP until 3.0 releases. Which is to say, forever.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                    For the love of Gandhi!!! Liberalism really is a mental illness.
                    Except this really isn't liberalism; it's more like "illiberalism," if that's actually a word.

Comment

Working...
                    X