X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danielsan
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I don't think you can build proprietary stuff on top of the Linux kernel, because of GPL.
    All the mega companies out there build their proprietary stuff and their business on top of Linux, and the GPLv2 has been the best ally of proprietary software so far...

Leave a comment:

• Raka555
    replied
    Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

How the hell do they get a 0.5GB RSS fotprint? Surely something must be wrong.
    It isn't because it has attached to something or mapped something else?
    Because I simply cannot see how a text based process monitor eats 0.5GB RAM.
    Yes, it should be 5MB at most for what it is actually doing.

Leave a comment:

• rbmorse
    replied
    Originally posted by lolren View Post
    What Linux really need is a Device Manager, where i can change drivers, load, unload etc... At the moment all the GUI ones are bad jokes, and terminal won't cut it for non tech people.... After, we can say we got closer to desktop friendliness....
    Call Pottering. Maybe he'll put it in systemd.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I don't think you can build proprietary stuff on top of the Linux kernel, because of GPL.
    Of course you can, if the proprietary stuff is outside the kernel itself (last I looked the Ubuntu software center sold proprietary apps, and one of the most widely recalled commercial examples using Linux under a proprietary app may be TiVo) or the stuff itself is never shipped outside the organization (either internal work product, or even xxxAAS cloud based solutions).

Leave a comment:

• lolren
    replied
    What Linux really need is a Device Manager, where i can change drivers, load, unload etc... At the moment all the GUI ones are bad jokes, and terminal won't cut it for non tech people.... After, we can say we got closer to desktop friendliness....

Leave a comment:

• milkylainen
    replied
    Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

Where do you get 60MB from ?

It is waaayyy worse than that ...
    How the hell do they get a 0.5GB RSS fotprint? Surely something must be wrong.
    It isn't because it has attached to something or mapped something else?
    Because I simply cannot see how a text based process monitor eats 0.5GB RAM.

Leave a comment:

• ferry
    replied
    Code:
    ferry@chromium:~$ procmon
    Procmon requires elevated credentials. Please run with sudo.
    ferry@chromium:~$ sudo procmon
    [sudo] wachtwoord voor ferry:
    chdir(/lib/modules/5.6.0-1018-oem/build): No such file or directory
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::invalid_argument'
    what(): Table '' is not an array table
    Afgebroken

Leave a comment:

• evasb
    replied
    I want to be an optimist but what MS wants is to limit the scope of the usage of Linux.

If everything you can do on Linux you can do too on Windows then many people will not use Linux anymore, mostly professionals, and Linux will be to purely server or hobbyist use. Companies will invest even less on Linux (desktop) and game over.
    Last edited by evasb; 17 July 2020, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Linux is a threat to their core operating system market. Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. As with many crimes, the first step is gaining the victim's trust. Don't be fooled.
    Next step is to have as much power as possible. Extend many upstream with extensions providing a better user experience, when used with combination of proprietary MS products... and then Extinguish alternatives.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Trying to kill htop!!!!

Also, why isn't this a GUI tool?!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X