Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goTouch
    replied
    Microsoft just need to build a file browser and taskbar on Linux, will beat KDE/Gnome

For procmon, I only need it in Windows, to list hundreds of svchost processes.
    On Linux, I clearly know what processes are running, just a handful.
    Last edited by goTouch; 18 July 2020, 01:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Step by step..... Eventually Microsoft will become a Linux distro vendor. LOL.
    They used the have their own Unix distro called Xenix so it would be like coming full circle

Leave a comment:

• szymon_g
    replied
    Originally posted by evasb View Post
    Workstation Linux employees will find it increasingly difficult to justify the use of Linux at work and this will be the final nail in the Linux desktop coffin.
    desktop linux doesn't need a nail in the coffin. linux desktop is pretty much not existing. check most distros why.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    Originally posted by evasb View Post

The biggest error of GPLv2 was not having a patent grant clause.
    I didn't understand what you mean...

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    It would be pretty cool move if Microsoft bought Canonical/Ubuntu one day and then made the backend of windows just Linux. Solve allot of problems.
    I don't see how Microsoft would be able to just claim all open-source projects as their own, that is the fear some people have, but we will see....

Ultimately I hate Windows but am forced to use it because multitude of apps and devices I have cannot function under Linux at this point in time, sadly.
    By the time Linux catches up I could be too old to care, too busy preparing for my funeral.. lol j/k

Leave a comment:

• nerdopolis
    replied
    First, Procmon does not do what htop does. It's not a performance tool. Procmon is more like an advanced system wide strace, with non-destructive filters, which explains the memory usage.

Leave a comment:

• evasb
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

All the mega companies out there build their proprietary stuff and their business on top of Linux, and the GPLv2 has been the best ally of proprietary software so far...
    The biggest error of GPLv2 was not having a patent grant clause.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    It took 17 posts for someone to trot out the EEE meme. You are slipping when it comes to paranoia, Phoronix.
    Whether you like the message or not, it is just as relevant today as it was 20 years ago. Microsoft's track record speaks for itself in this regard.

Leave a comment:

• pracedru
    replied
    This is a great tool for windows. I have often used it.
    Reminds me of snoopdos for the Amiga :
    The ultimate tool to discover if you have software conflicts or even missing libraries. Captured from a ream Amiga Computer.http://partsfromthepast.blogspot....

Looking forward to trying it out.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Of course you can, if the proprietary stuff is outside the kernel itself (last I looked the Ubuntu software center sold proprietary apps, and one of the most widely recalled commercial examples using Linux under a proprietary app may be TiVo) or the stuff itself is never shipped outside the organization (either internal work product, or even xxxAAS cloud based solutions).
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

All the mega companies out there build their proprietary stuff and their business on top of Linux, and the GPLv2 has been the best ally of proprietary software so far...
    I obviously meant Microsoft wouldn't be able to use it the way they need it: extending it to run whatever proprietary stuff they need.
    Then again, judging by the number of posts that didn't get what I meant, maybe it wasn't so obvious?
    Last edited by bug77; 18 July 2020, 01:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X