X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by stargazer View Post

I fully expect Microsoft will, in the next few years, do what Apple did years ago and switch their kernel. MS will use Linux due to how active development is. With their strategy of cloud services, it really makes no sense for them to maintain the expense of writing and maintaining their own kernel. I think they are just waiting until they can get all the pieces they need built for a smooth transition and some level of backwards compatibility.
    Hell will freeze over before. It'd mean opensourcing Windows, they are not going for it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by cynic View Post

You're right, maybe they'll surprise us all with a whole new strategy, we can't judge on suspects.

But Microsoft has become so boring to my eyes, that it's hard for me imagine that they invented something new at all. So, that's my bias towards the good old EEE.
    Did Microsoft allow native DirectX implementation / support by GPU drivers on Linux? Why MS develops DirectX only for WSL?

EEE strategy comes, but in a different flavour,... open-source playground has different rules. Microsoft loves open-source, the new playground for them. The another challenge for the monopoly strategy.

Nowadays, and probably also in the past, applications are picked with the goal to achieve the greatest productivity (gain / time+material) , cooperation within teams, easy to maintain eco-system,... So, MS will Extend open-source projects with integrations of own proprietary products, and these extensions will be providing greater productivity. The Extinguish phase will come when the most of open-source projects will provide heavily impaired productivity, when not integrated with proprietary MS products.

I wouldn't be surprised, if lots of open-source projects would be extended with DirectX-based-AI assistance, and therefore these applications would be fluently working only on Windows/WSL, but not on pure Linux.

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Yes, but the worst part about those chanting "Embrace Extend Extinguish" on every Microsoft-related thread is that it's unimaginative. Allowing for the sake of argument that Microsoft are indeed as evil as they used to be ā€” don't you think you're doing yourself a huge disservice by assuming that they're not clever enough to have developed new strategies over the years? Why are you so determined to underestimate your enemy?
    You're right, maybe they'll surprise us all with a whole new strategy, we can't judge on suspects.

But Microsoft has become so boring to my eyes, that it's hard for me imagine that they invented something new at all. So, that's my bias towards the good old EEE.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied

yep. moreover, the EEE practice have been largely proved and documented so we know that this is not paranoid but a real fact
    Yes, but the worst part about those chanting "Embrace Extend Extinguish" on every Microsoft-related thread is that it's unimaginative. Allowing for the sake of argument that Microsoft are indeed as evil as they used to be ā€” don't you think you're doing yourself a huge disservice by assuming that they're not clever enough to have developed new strategies over the years? Why are you so determined to underestimate your enemy?

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post

He's living in some utopia and believes everyone is nice and doesn't want to harm others. It seems some people have no clue about world and history.
    yep. moreover, the EEE practice have been largely proved and documented so we know that this is not paranoid but a real fact

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied

are you saying that referring to EEE is being paranoid?
    He's living in some utopia and believes everyone is nice and doesn't want to harm others. It seems some people have no clue about world and history.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by evasb View Post
    I want to be an optimist but what MS wants is to limit the scope of the usage of Linux.

If everything you can do on Linux you can do too on Windows then many people will not use Linux anymore, mostly professionals, and Linux will be to purely server or hobbyist use. Companies will invest even less on Linux (desktop) and game over.
    Not everyone wants to run this slow, bloated, insecure, spyware OS and be dependent on Microsoft. As for professionals those who are smart are using Linux:

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...n-linux/124039

Sometimes ago I decided to switch on Linux since CPU performance is quite impressive compared to Windows for my tasks. Iā€™m a 3D artist and practically everything in my workflow is for 30% faster on Linux and it is serious advantage over windows for me.
    Last edited by Volta; 18 July 2020, 04:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Raka555
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    It would be pretty cool move if Microsoft bought Canonical/Ubuntu one day and then made the backend of windows just Linux. Solve allot of problems.
    Ask Nokia how it worked out for them ...

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    It took 17 posts for someone to trot out the EEE meme. You are slipping when it comes to paranoia, Phoronix.
    are you saying that referring to EEE is being paranoid?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I obviously meant Microsoft wouldn't be able to use it the way they need it: extending it to run whatever proprietary stuff they need.
    Then again, judging by the number of posts that didn't get what I meant, maybe it was so obvious?
    Why not possible? Microsoft starts with DirectX support for WSL. So we will have Linux/crossplatform applications with some good features for productivity, which will work only when running via WSL a not on Linux directly... I've seen people switch to WSL from Linux. And, many more will do so, if their apps will be working better when running on WSL, therefore Windows, which has got also better gaming experience.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X