Microsoft Releases Its Own Open-Source Process Monitor For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evasb View Post

The biggest error of GPLv2 was not having a patent grant clause.
    I didn't understand what you mean...

Comment

Workstation Linux employees will find it increasingly difficult to justify the use of Linux at work and this will be the final nail in the Linux desktop coffin.
      desktop linux doesn't need a nail in the coffin. linux desktop is pretty much not existing. check most distros why.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        Step by step..... Eventually Microsoft will become a Linux distro vendor. LOL.
        They used the have their own Unix distro called Xenix so it would be like coming full circle

Comment

Microsoft just need to build a file browser and taskbar on Linux, will beat KDE/Gnome

For procmon, I only need it in Windows, to list hundreds of svchost processes.
          On Linux, I clearly know what processes are running, just a handful.
          Last edited by goTouch; 18 July 2020, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I obviously meant Microsoft wouldn't be able to use it the way they need it: extending it to run whatever proprietary stuff they need.
            Then again, judging by the number of posts that didn't get what I meant, maybe it was so obvious?
            Why not possible? Microsoft starts with DirectX support for WSL. So we will have Linux/crossplatform applications with some good features for productivity, which will work only when running via WSL a not on Linux directly... I've seen people switch to WSL from Linux. And, many more will do so, if their apps will be working better when running on WSL, therefore Windows, which has got also better gaming experience.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              It took 17 posts for someone to trot out the EEE meme. You are slipping when it comes to paranoia, Phoronix.
              are you saying that referring to EEE is being paranoid?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                It would be pretty cool move if Microsoft bought Canonical/Ubuntu one day and then made the backend of windows just Linux. Solve allot of problems.
                Ask Nokia how it worked out for them ...

Comment

I want to be an optimist but what MS wants is to limit the scope of the usage of Linux.

If everything you can do on Linux you can do too on Windows then many people will not use Linux anymore, mostly professionals, and Linux will be to purely server or hobbyist use. Companies will invest even less on Linux (desktop) and game over.
                  Not everyone wants to run this slow, bloated, insecure, spyware OS and be dependent on Microsoft. As for professionals those who are smart are using Linux:

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...n-linux/124039

Sometimes ago I decided to switch on Linux since CPU performance is quite impressive compared to Windows for my tasks. I’m a 3D artist and practically everything in my workflow is for 30% faster on Linux and it is serious advantage over windows for me.
                  Last edited by Volta; 18 July 2020, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

are you saying that referring to EEE is being paranoid?
                    He's living in some utopia and believes everyone is nice and doesn't want to harm others. It seems some people have no clue about world and history.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

He's living in some utopia and believes everyone is nice and doesn't want to harm others. It seems some people have no clue about world and history.
                      yep. moreover, the EEE practice have been largely proved and documented so we know that this is not paranoid but a real fact

Comment

Working...
                      X