Microsoft Releases Its Own Open-Source Process Monitor For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I don't think you can build proprietary stuff on top of the Linux kernel, because of GPL.
    Of course you can, if the proprietary stuff is outside the kernel itself (last I looked the Ubuntu software center sold proprietary apps, and one of the most widely recalled commercial examples using Linux under a proprietary app may be TiVo) or the stuff itself is never shipped outside the organization (either internal work product, or even xxxAAS cloud based solutions).

Comment

Originally posted by lolren View Post
      What Linux really need is a Device Manager, where i can change drivers, load, unload etc... At the moment all the GUI ones are bad jokes, and terminal won't cut it for non tech people.... After, we can say we got closer to desktop friendliness....
      Call Pottering. Maybe he'll put it in systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

How the hell do they get a 0.5GB RSS fotprint? Surely something must be wrong.
        It isn't because it has attached to something or mapped something else?
        Because I simply cannot see how a text based process monitor eats 0.5GB RAM.
        Yes, it should be 5MB at most for what it is actually doing.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I don't think you can build proprietary stuff on top of the Linux kernel, because of GPL.
          All the mega companies out there build their proprietary stuff and their business on top of Linux, and the GPLv2 has been the best ally of proprietary software so far...

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Of course you can, if the proprietary stuff is outside the kernel itself (last I looked the Ubuntu software center sold proprietary apps, and one of the most widely recalled commercial examples using Linux under a proprietary app may be TiVo) or the stuff itself is never shipped outside the organization (either internal work product, or even xxxAAS cloud based solutions).
            Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

All the mega companies out there build their proprietary stuff and their business on top of Linux, and the GPLv2 has been the best ally of proprietary software so far...
            I obviously meant Microsoft wouldn't be able to use it the way they need it: extending it to run whatever proprietary stuff they need.
            Then again, judging by the number of posts that didn't get what I meant, maybe it wasn't so obvious?
            Last edited by bug77; 18 July 2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

This is a great tool for windows. I have often used it.
              Reminds me of snoopdos for the Amiga :
              The ultimate tool to discover if you have software conflicts or even missing libraries. Captured from a ream Amiga Computer.http://partsfromthepast.blogspot....

Looking forward to trying it out.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                It took 17 posts for someone to trot out the EEE meme. You are slipping when it comes to paranoia, Phoronix.
                Whether you like the message or not, it is just as relevant today as it was 20 years ago. Microsoft's track record speaks for itself in this regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

The biggest error of GPLv2 was not having a patent grant clause.

Comment

First, Procmon does not do what htop does. It's not a performance tool. Procmon is more like an advanced system wide strace, with non-destructive filters, which explains the memory usage.

Comment

It would be pretty cool move if Microsoft bought Canonical/Ubuntu one day and then made the backend of windows just Linux. Solve allot of problems.
                      I don't see how Microsoft would be able to just claim all open-source projects as their own, that is the fear some people have, but we will see....

Ultimately I hate Windows but am forced to use it because multitude of apps and devices I have cannot function under Linux at this point in time, sadly.
                      By the time Linux catches up I could be too old to care, too busy preparing for my funeral.. lol j/k

Comment

Working...
                      X