Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Releases Its Own Open-Source Process Monitor For Linux

Phoronix: Microsoft Releases Its Own Open-Source Process Monitor For Linux

Microsoft's newest open-source Linux software is ProcMon for Linux, a rewritten and re-imagined version of its Processor Monitor found on Windows within their Sysinternals suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Step by step..... Eventually Microsoft will become a Linux distro vendor. LOL.

Comment

I wonder if it really requires sudo (like Process Monitor does on Windows) or it works more like Linux utility, where you run it with your own user and it just displays your own processes.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        I wonder if it really requires sudo (like Process Monitor does on Windows) or it works more like Linux utility, where you run it with your own user and it just displays your own processes.
        Since iotop also needs sudo I'm assuming some API requires root to access.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          I expected they did it long time ago, not sure why they waited so much time.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
            Since iotop also needs sudo I'm assuming some API requires root to access.
            Yes, but this is about processes. We know from ps/top/htop there's no API that needs root access involved.
            I was just curious, process monitor is a solid tools. I've been using it years before Microsoft bought it, I'll use on Linux, too. But it has to make its way into official repos, I'm not going to use an AUR for that.

Comment

Mark Russinovich, meet Linux.....Linux, meet Mark Russinovich.

Maybe next they will create a Linux tool suite, call it SysInternals.

Comment

They already are, see Azure Sphere OS

Comment

I fully expect Microsoft will, in the next few years, do what Apple did years ago and switch their kernel. MS will use Linux due to how active development is. With their strategy of cloud services, it really makes no sense for them to maintain the expense of writing and maintaining their own kernel. I think they are just waiting until they can get all the pieces they need built for a smooth transition and some level of backwards compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by stargazer View Post

I fully expect Microsoft will, in the next few years, do what Apple did years ago and switch their kernel. MS will use Linux due to how active development is. With their strategy of cloud services, it really makes no sense for them to maintain the expense of writing and maintaining their own kernel. I think they are just waiting until they can get all the pieces they need built for a smooth transition and some level of backwards compatibility.
                    They're not letting go of the Windows cash cow that easily. They're still working on DirectX, they have most hardware vendors supporting Windows and not Linux, and other big advantages that cement their monopoly. They won't be letting go of that anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X