No announcement yet.

Microsoft Releases Its Own Open-Source Process Monitor For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why? we already have htop ... and the only thing htop is missing is disk usage like nmon

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by prometeo View Post

They already are, see Azure Sphere OS
      Look up Xenix for some real nostalgia.

Comment

Nothing wrong with writing something for their future WSL2 distro that will be exclusive to use on WSL.

Workstation Linux employees will find it increasingly difficult to justify the use of Linux at work and this will be the final nail in the Linux desktop coffin.
        Last edited by evasb; 07-17-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          I don't think you can build proprietary stuff on top of the Linux kernel, because of GPL. I also expect Microsoft to de-emphasize Windows in their stack somehow, but I don't think they'll switch to a Linux kernel. Then again, I've been wrong before
          Plenty of proprietary stuff is done on Linux. The GPL explicitly allows "arms length" interactions, which is how most software treats the kernel. DirectX is more troublesome in that regard, though.

Comment

Trying to kill htop!!!!

Also, why isn't this a GUI tool?!

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Linux is a threat to their core operating system market. Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. As with many crimes, the first step is gaining the victim's trust. Don't be fooled.
              Next step is to have as much power as possible. Extend many upstream with extensions providing a better user experience, when used with combination of proprietary MS products... and then Extinguish alternatives.

Comment

I want to be an optimist but what MS wants is to limit the scope of the usage of Linux.

If everything you can do on Linux you can do too on Windows then many people will not use Linux anymore, mostly professionals, and Linux will be to purely server or hobbyist use. Companies will invest even less on Linux (desktop) and game over.
                Last edited by evasb; 07-17-2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Code:
                  [email protected]:~$ procmon
                  Procmon requires elevated credentials. Please run with sudo.
                  [email protected]:~$ sudo procmon
                  [sudo] wachtwoord voor ferry:
                  chdir(/lib/modules/5.6.0-1018-oem/build): No such file or directory
                  terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::invalid_argument'
                  what(): Table '' is not an array table
                  Afgebroken

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

Where do you get 60MB from ?

It is waaayyy worse than that ...
                    How the hell do they get a 0.5GB RSS fotprint? Surely something must be wrong.
                    It isn't because it has attached to something or mapped something else?
                    Because I simply cannot see how a text based process monitor eats 0.5GB RAM.

Comment

What Linux really need is a Device Manager, where i can change drivers, load, unload etc... At the moment all the GUI ones are bad jokes, and terminal won't cut it for non tech people.... After, we can say we got closer to desktop friendliness....

Comment

Working...
                      X