Microsoft Releases Its Own Open-Source Process Monitor For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stargazer View Post

I fully expect Microsoft will, in the next few years, do what Apple did years ago and switch their kernel. MS will use Linux due to how active development is. With their strategy of cloud services, it really makes no sense for them to maintain the expense of writing and maintaining their own kernel. I think they are just waiting until they can get all the pieces they need built for a smooth transition and some level of backwards compatibility.
    I don't think you can build proprietary stuff on top of the Linux kernel, because of GPL. I also expect Microsoft to de-emphasize Windows in their stack somehow, but I don't think they'll switch to a Linux kernel. Then again, I've been wrong before

Comment

60mb lol, bloat driven company

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

They're not letting go of the Windows cash cow that easily. They're still working on DirectX, they have most hardware vendors supporting Windows and not Linux, and other big advantages that cement their monopoly. They won't be letting go of that anytime soon.
        Apple didn't let go of their OS when they switched to a UNIX kernel. I don't expect MS to be any different in that regard. The kernel is only one part of the OS and MS will still build a lot of stuff on top of it.

Comment

I fully expect Microsoft will, in the next few years, do what Apple did years ago and switch their kernel. MS will use Linux due to how active development is. With their strategy of cloud services, it really makes no sense for them to maintain the expense of writing and maintaining their own kernel. I think they are just waiting until they can get all the pieces they need built for a smooth transition and some level of backwards compatibility.
          I am not really sure about that, NT Kernel + NTFS is the way how most likely MS puts backdoors into their systems otherwise doesn't make sense building Azure on top of Windows Server when you can have Linux...

Comment

Looks like an extremely poor man's version of glances.

Comment

Yeah. No. That's not going to happen. Microsoft is a company whose primary customers are risk adverse and will sit on software developed 25+ years ago. Like a die hard gun rights activist "You'll pry my software from my cold dead hands". Microsoft is not Apple. Microsoft will never be Apple. They aren't even in the same market. Microsoft sells to corporations that want backwards compatibility for the indefinite future. That's why their services are aimed at migrating to the cloud. Windows will be around for a long time still to come in one form or another either as a virtualized back end target or some sort of embedded emulation layer in a next-gen OS designed better for data security.

If Microsoft does anything, they'll realize that current security models, Linux/Unix included, are outdated and inadequate for the future of data security. They may eventually migrate to something else closer to the ideals of OpenVMS which NT was originally modeled on. But, it will not be the Windows of today, nor will it be Unix beyond a transition period where Linux will be a place holder on the back end. Almost no one short of professionals and enthusiasts will be aware of it on the user side of a migration to remote server model/thin client in most of the industry. Microsoft has already started that particular trend with their cash cow and flagship software transitioned to remote services model: Office 365 which is currently usable on any computer with a supported web browser. Moving in this direction basically makes the OS on which they run their software and sell their services (including legacy software support) irrelevant beyond internal support costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                Either they're using CEF or EEF (Edge embedded framework), or they're shipping a bunch of libraries along, down to the libc.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                  Where do you get 60MB from ?

It is waaayyy worse than that ...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                    Step by step..... Eventually Microsoft will become a Linux distro vendor. LOL.
                    Linux is a threat to their core operating system market. Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. As with many crimes, the first step is gaining the victim's trust. Don't be fooled.
                    Last edited by torsionbar28; 17 July 2020, 12:27 PM.

Comment

It took 17 posts for someone to trot out the EEE meme. You are slipping when it comes to paranoia, Phoronix.

Comment

Working...
                      X