systemd-oomd Looks Like It Will Come Together For systemd 247

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YamashitaRen View Post
    (more than) enough RAM does not fix memory leaks and unexpected memory intensive processes.
    Oomd and the likes work around it.
    OK. But hanging / crashing servers can really help choosing quality vendors next time..

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
      One word: ignorance.
      Again, people that don't know what they're talking about and haven't got the first clue about how Linux handles OOM situations ideologically condemn it because it has "systemd" in its name.
      Those are the *nix admin fanboys for you. They have no clue about how the kernel works, they think they know it all because they read Bach's "The Design of the UNIX Operating System" back in 1986, they never developed any software other than a Perl script, they will fight tooth and nail for the idea that vi is the latest and greatest in UI design, but they believe that they are some sort of elite and that the world should reverently listen to them.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        xnor At least the big distributions are consolidating sane defaults now. Next step is to solve all the redundant packaging.
        That's being taken care of by flatpak and snap.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
          I wonder if systemd-oomd includes an exclude list of applications that it won't kill?

Imagine systemd-oomd killing systemd or Facebook because they take up too much memory.
          Sure. Because that's, like, totally going to happen, right?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            xnor At least the big distributions are consolidating sane defaults now. Next step is to solve all the redundant packaging.
            Workarounds, hacks and stitching a mess together is sane.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Why not fix the problem in the kernel?

Like not swap executable code when the system is near-OOM?
              Political problemsrequire political solutions. Touching kernel code is a pain in the ass and you also need to convince people that it is a problem at all (afaik they are not convinced in the lkml). It's much easier to just move that to a userspace application.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                Three words: No thank you.

systemd deciding which of my apps to kill and when to kill them sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
                If you think systemd killing process is a disaster waiting to happen, you won't believe what disasters the kernel OOM actually does reliably. Like soft-locking the system in an unresponsive mode if there is swap at all.

I can monitor my own system memory just fine, thank you very much. There's conky and applets and htop and glances and system monitors and notifiers all over the place I can use.
                Not everyone enjoys babysitting a machine that can and should deal with it on its own

Comment

Originally posted by matsukan View Post

In very good reason. Bsd is Systemd cancer and should take to appropriately .... Get rid of it.
                  fixed

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                    I wonder if systemd-oomd includes an exclude list of applications that it won't kill?
                    Yes it has a whitelist of critical stuff it won't kill but it should not need it in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by matsukan View Post

In very good reason. Systemd is bsd cancer and should take to appropriately .... Get rid of it.
                      What exactly does systemd have to do with bsd?

Comment

Working...
                      X