Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xnor View Post
    One word: ignorance.
    Again, people that don't know what they're talking about and haven't got the first clue about how Linux handles OOM situations ideologically condemn it because it has "systemd" in its name.
    In very good reason. Systemd is bsd cancer and should take to appropriately .... Get rid of it.

Comment

I wonder if systemd-oomd includes an exclude list of applications that it won't kill?

Imagine systemd-oomd killing systemd or Facebook because they take up too much memory.

Comment

Disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
          I wonder if systemd-oomd includes an exclude list of applications that it won't kill?

Imagine systemd-oomd killing systemd or Facebook because they take up too much memory.
          For that, you'll need to run:
          Code:
          sysctrl start systemd-oomd-please.don't.kill.me.d

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

it works the other way around, with an opt-in list. The config for the cgroup needs to state that it can be killed.

Comment

I prefer configuring systems with (more than) enough RAM, but options are nice to have.

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
                One word: ignorance.
                Again, people that don't know what they're talking about and haven't got the first clue about how Linux handles OOM situations ideologically condemn it because it has "systemd" in its name.
                You can call it whatever nice and pretty words you like.
                Does not mean that "we" don't have a clue or are obliged to like every solution that systemd presents by gobbling it up.

I see the whys of systemd but I choose to see past them.
                To me, Poetterings ideas about systemd removing "pointless differences between distributions" is like a cancer on what makes Linux distributions great.
                And with the definition of "pointless difference" growing by the day, I can't see how my analogy is that far fetched.

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
                  I prefer configuring systems with (more than) enough RAM, but options are nice to have.
                  (more than) enough RAM does not fix memory leaks and unexpected memory intensive processes.
                  Oomd and the likes work around it.

Comment

Originally posted by matsukan View Post
                    In very good reason. Systemd is bsd cancer and should take to appropriately .... Get rid of it.
                    Thank you for making my point. Also, you might want to attend a basic English course.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                      You can call it whatever nice and pretty words you like.
                      Does not mean that "we" don't have a clue or are obliged to like every solution that systemd presents by gobbling it up.
                      Ignorance is neither nice nor pretty.

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                      I see the whys of systemd but I choose to see past them.
                      To me, Poetterings ideas about systemd removing "pointless differences between distributions" is like a cancer on what makes Linux distributions great.
                      And with the definition of "pointless difference" growing by the day, I can't see how my analogy is that far fetched.
                      Oh boy, if I add up all the time I've wasted on distribution-specific quirks, bugs, peculiarities I would end up with a big number of completely unproductive time. And this is just from a user/administrative point of view.
                      It gets worse if we get to application development for distributions. Many have given up ... after wasting lots of time and money.
                      Lastly, and this is probably the worst of all, instead of joint efforts (which open source / free software is ideal for) projects have wasted man-centuries if not millennia on re-re-re-re-developing distributions and core applications.

But sure, from a hobbyist point of view of someone who intends on wasting time and playing around this doesn't matter.

Comment

Working...
                      X