Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post

should be 'manager' then
    That's better, yes. As long as it's semantically equivalent, it's fine. When semantic correctness is overlooked in favour of political correcteness, that's when code quality is damaged.
    Modernization is a natural process in any language and, as stated elsewhere, initiatives could be taken in the direction of less ambiguity. Only, let's not force that process artificially!

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
      I've started using linux in 1990. Since 2000, I am using Linux as my main OS on a daily basis. As of today I'm evaluating alternatives that are not provided by morons that value "inclusivity" higher than the quality of the code.
      Well, this change is only for new code (at least, so far). So you could fork linux, and just apply all the security updates yourself. I think you had better do that for your web browser too, since Firefox and Chromium are a lay-down misère to do this too, if not already. Lucky, of course, that you don't use python.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
        I remain to be convinced that 'blocklist' is not a poor choice of terminology as it is ambiguous. Is it a list of blocks e.g. a list of available blocks on a block-based storage device; or is a list of items to be blocked i.e. not allowed to progress? It will probably be clear from the context, but I suggest it would have been better to choose non-ambiguous terms - like allowlist and denylist. But, it is too late now. Sigh.
        We could have borrowed from Santa and switched over to naughty and nice lists.

If this was back in the "Fuck You, Nvidia" days, shitlist and hitlist might have been viable options.

Comment

Originally posted by ossuser View Post
          They say, let's beat "the virus"
          * and manipulate the numbers in all sorts of ways so it looks worse than it is
          * and lock you down so your immunesystem gets weaker
          * and take away your right to freely assemble
          * and divide us (literally) by "social distancing"
          * and make you wear a mask so you become a faceless being
          * and invest bigtime in vaccine-companies
          I agree with most of what you were saying, but quit being retarded during a fucking global pandemic. Put on your goddamn mask step away.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
            Slave on the other hand is always paired with Master and that combination does directly reference human slavery (though not necessarily racism).
            historically it does not mean what you think ... historically they call this people so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs

also historically is is wrong that the most slaves where black the most slaves where in fact white irish people... so all the black drama about racism in slavery is wrong there where white slaves also so no racism drama.

also historically the word itself comes from the slavs... they where used to catch slavs and make them slaves for the Roman Empire ...

fun fact: they call the germans nazi and so one but it was fact if a slave escaped roman empire and did go to germany his slavery status was over. means germans was the only secure country for roman empire slaves for like 2000 years.

so historically in the moment the black lives matters people call some peope (german)nazi or call german donald trump nazi they just call the people who free the slaves from ROMAN EMPIRE evil.

this is how stupid brainwashed they are.

+++ Armenius Hermann (my mothers family name is Hermann)
            ended slavery 2000 years ago in germany by defeating the Roman Empire by killing of 40 000 Romans.

and the US is so foolish they claimed to end slavery 200 years ago...
            germany was 1800 years faster.
            Last edited by qarium; 13 July 2020, 07:25 AM.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

Try to imagine: he just thinks it is the right thing to do.
              no he just try to save his daughter from the communist dreamland she is already completely lost in.

Comment

I find the assertion that these terms have undertones of racism or human slavery incredibly offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
                  I find the assertion that these terms have undertones of racism or human slavery incredibly offensive.
                  yes the many Irish white slaves in the USA 250 years ago fully agree with you.

these black people are just liars if they claim being black has anything to do with slavery.

the roman empire had slaves of all colors and even the name slaves comes from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs because having white Slavic slave was very common in roman empire.

Comment

If people wish to expunge terms related to slavery from IT, then they may need to find another term for 'server' (as in client-server and servers-in-the-datacentre), as the etymology of that word has origins in the Latin servus (servant, serf, slave).

Then again, no-one seems to have found the term objectionable, so perhaps a change is not necessary in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
                      If people wish to expunge terms related to slavery from IT, then they may need to find another term for 'server' (as in client-server and servers-in-the-datacentre), as the etymology of that word has origins in the Latin servus (servant, serf, slave).

Then again, no-one seems to have found the term objectionable, so perhaps a change is not necessary in this case.
                      good point... lets chance server into: disrespect ...

because disrespect would maybe the only word what is not racist.

if you disrespect all humans you are no longer a racist you are god of equality.

if no one gets any respect it would be totally equal to. it is perfect communist wonderland.

all get the same salary: disrespectfully salary of zero euro.

Comment

Working...
                      X