Linux Kernel Preparing New Guidelines For Using Inclusive Terminology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
    Dominant languages... i tell you what in 1871-1914 9 out of 10 science papers in the world was in German. see: https://archiveowl.files.wordpress.c...en_2_30005.jpg
    It needed 2 world wars and a complete reeducation of all German youth in brainwashing schools to eliminate the 1. place of the German language in science.
    "(euphemistic) involuntary political indoctrination."
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/reeducation
    Okay, so your beef isn't with this change, it's really that we're not all using German? Sorry, can't help you with that.

Again, I would encourage you to work on localization of your favorite programming languages.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    you are really a fool because the native language of computer science was "German"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_Zuse
    I said "their native language", meaning whatever spoken language those academics and engineers worked in.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    The truth is this: Germany(1871-1914) outperformed all English speaking countries in all Science Fields and in all economic numbers like industry production. And only World war 1 and 2 stopped this by Military Force.

This means the English language today is only the Nr1 because they abused Military Force to dominate all non English countries.
    Ooo... I think you're onto something. Surely that is the main reason the World Wars were fought! ...and reluctantly joined by the US.

I thought you were being intentionally absurd, but now you're starting to worry me.

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
      <snipped>
      I think what really bothers people about this is the idea that they can't simply have all the benefits of a massive communal project without having to make any accommodations. That's some serious next-level entitlement.
      I think we're both wasting time at this point but you hit the nail on the head with this one. Except I think it's some world class entitlement to expect people from around the world to accomodate a CoC on an international project that's based off of one country's ethical definitions.

Next time a Chinese person will introduce the rule to never mention Taiwan anywhere and force it into a CoC somewhere...

Comment

• Originally posted by Almindor View Post
        Next time a Chinese person will introduce the rule to never mention Taiwan anywhere and force it into a CoC somewhere...
        Right, because it's such a common variable name.

Every "slippery slope" argument I've seen in this thread has been such an awkward reach. C'mon guys, I'm sure you can do better!

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
          This means the English language today is only the Nr1 because they abused Military Force to dominate all non English countries.
          Wow. If this thread wasn't crazy beyond imagination already...

No. English is the dominant language because US/UK won WWII and liberated us Europeans from fascism, aided and leaded the way towards democracy and freedom. The true "weapon" for spreading the English language was Hollywood and now the internet. Even though things are different these days and US/UK seem to have degenerated into a very self-absorbed state, I am still grateful for their former deeds.

But yes, Germany mismanaged their potential in the last century. That is history. Get over it, and accept that English is now the Lingua Franca and move forward. Who knows, maybe the proud Americans will someday also realize their twelve-finger units are crazy and move forward to the Metric system instead

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
            Every "slippery slope" argument I've seen in this thread has been such an awkward reach. C'mon guys, I'm sure you can do better!
            Every argument supporting this "inclusive terminology" nonsense has been such an awkward reach. C'mon SJW's, I'm sure you can do better!

SJW types are great at inventing and identifying "perceived" racism. e.g. this "inclusive terminology" effort. A solution in search of a problem. Next time the power goes out and no one has lights, don't dare call it a "blackout". That's racist!

Comment

• https://youtu.be/pCvGXngwH0g if anyone ever miss something thank the censorship.
              Last edited by qarium; 06 July 2020, 11:08 AM.
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

• Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
                If the linux community does not want these common names used, then there should be explicit single word replacement defined within the coding style rules.
                Not an assortment of possibilities.
                The argument for there being an assortment is that it's an opportunity to tighten up the semantics and actually improve the code. For those who haven't read the patch, here are the suggested alternatives:
                • secondary
                • subordinate
                • replica
                • responder
                • follower
                • proxy
                • performer

These are not synonymous and say a lot more about construct than simply calling it a "slave".

In my own code, I tend to use manager/worker or sometimes perhaps server/client, where I might've otherwise used master/slave. From what I can tell, the coding guidelines don't prevent anyone from using those names, if they're a better fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                  yea you shot the eagle... the ones who had the most arrogance used the most Violence Force to fulfill their preventive economic war against the Germans

the only think what the German did wrong is that they outperformed all other countries in industrial production and export. and world war 1 and 2 was only: preventive economic war against German speakers. (from English speakers who can not compete without using violence)
                  Isn't Holocaust-denial grounds for a ban?

Not to say that's the only thing wrong with your completely revisionist history.

Comment

• I wonder whether the motive behind starting silly shit-storms and ultimately irrelevant activities with regards to re-wording is actually to distract people from discussing relevant topics of social injustice, like the blatantly increasing inequality in the distribution of wealth. Changing something about those topics would cost a lot of money, and it seems like a cheap substitute to just have some coders change some wording.

I also wonder: Science keeps telling us there are no human races. Thus "black" and "white" cannot relate to such inexistent things, and they cannot possibly be "racist". (BTW: Are "red-black trees" racist? Should arctic explorers no longer use the term "white out", because it's racist? Will everybody who acquired a master degree need to visit university again to acquire some diploma instead?)

With regards to "slaves": Slavery is a historical (and in some regions even a contemporary) fact that has involved humans with any amount of melatonin in their skin, both as slave traders and as victims (read for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_slave_trade on how Europeans were victims of African slave traders for centuries). Not using the word does not make anything about slavery any better.

Comment

• Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                      Every argument supporting this "inclusive terminology" nonsense has been such an awkward reach. C'mon SJW's, I'm sure you can do better!
                      First time I've been accused of being SJW.

Like I said, read the patch. The rationale is all there and I think it stands fairly well on its own. It's unfortunate Michael didn't just quote the changes in the article.

Anyway, I'm not the one pushing it. I just don't think it's unreasonable to bar a couple loaded words, in the coding guidelines. To push back on that so vigorously, seems suspicious to me. I think some self-examination is in order.

Comment

Working...
                      X