No announcement yet.

Linux Kernel Preparing New Guidelines For Using Inclusive Terminology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder how short a time it will be before one can no longer claim to have a Master's Degree?

My candidate for substitution for 'Master's Degree'?-- the 'CIASJW Degree' ('Caving In to the Asshole Social Justice Warriors Degree', or, for the sake brevity, the 'ASJW Degree').

Cue the ASJWs...

Comment

• Originally posted by _Alex_ View Post
      Speaking of light, maybe "lightweight" or "light" - referring to implementantion should also be removed so that it doesn't hurt the feelings of overweight people.
      It's not as if a lightlist is a list of things to allow and a heavylist is a list of those to block. The way you're talking about light and heavy is them being used as objective descriptions of quantity or cost. So, no, I don't see it going there.

Originally posted by _Alex_ View Post
      Then again maybe "clean" code, or things like "dirty" bits should also be removed to stop offending people who don't want or can't afford to take a bath

There is really no end in sight for this kind of idiocy.
      Are you talking about your points... because that's the only thing of which I'm seeing no end in sight.

Comment

• I hope this stupidity goes down in flames.

Comment

• It won't stop guys. It's over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iksf View Post
            There's a word for anti-anti-racists, can't for the life of me remember what it is tho.
            You're either for us, or you're against us! Anyone who doesn't goose step to our mantra is a racist! Everyone on your street has a BLM yard sign except for you, you must be a racist! In the name of diversity and inclusivity, we must ostracize and ruin anyone whose opinion differs from our own! Your opinions on a complex topic differ slightly from mine, you must be a racist!

Neo-Liberal Fascism at its finest. Yawn, nothing new to see here. The only difference is that this time around they're wearing a BLM patch instead of a swastica.
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 05 July 2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
              Eh, language and signals are overloaded and sometimes not as well-scoped as you'd like.

You want to talk about Nazis hijacking a symbol? The swastika is an ancient religious symbol that originally had nothing to do with white supremacy. It's now banned in many places. Go figure.
              Is this a fair comparison? Nazi Germany had advanced weapons, sophisticated surveillance program and state-run extermination camps where millions died. Despite that you are still allowed to use Swastikas in a purely historical or religious context in most European countries. Even Germany has relaxed their strict anti-anything-nazi policy a bit in this regard. On the other hand here you have just a bunch of harmless internet douchebags who shouldn't have gotten any attention in the first place.

Originally posted by coder View Post
              I don't know that nobody thought that. Military cadets were seen flashing it on national TV with very obviously its new connotation in mind. Militarism and white power have an uncomfortably close relationship. Germany just disbanded an elite special ops force, after discovering it had been infiltrated by numerous right-wing extremists. In the US, a white-supremacist Army private is being court-martialed for treason, after leaking details of his unit so that IS fighters could attack it.
              I'm sorry but I don't see the relevance. These were people with open extremist views who made their way into armed forces. Calling this a serious issue is probably an understatement. The issue we are dealing with here is a bunch of technical terms that may be seen as offensive if you look for it there.

Originally posted by coder View Post
              In a case like this, it's better for the games publisher to play it safe and just take it out of the game. The game really doesn't lose anything and there's no doubt about the developers' intentions.
              This is what I find quite worrying. If we start to filter our language and culture in general to play it safe with the SJW and argue that we are not really loosing anything anyway, it might be difficult to stop it if and when it goes too far. Unfortunately, things like this have a tendency to escalate from well intended ideas to dogmatic ideologies.

Comment

• Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                You're either for us, or you're against us! Anyone who doesn't goose step to our mantra is a racist! Everyone on your street has a BLM yard sign except for you, you must be a racist! In the name of diversity and inclusivity, we must ostracize and ruin anyone whose opinion differs from our own! Your opinions on a complex topic differ slightly from mine, you must be a racist!

Neo-Liberal Fascism at its finest. Yawn, nothing new to see here. The only difference is that this time around they're wearing a BLM patch instead of a swastica.
                I mean if you're saying Black lives matter == "Cat lives matter" Yea you probably are a racist. If the shoe fits.

See the difference in your example is punishing someone for not doing something. Just how the other poster was arguing "my programming language isn't in German, that's the same". You can make a German C if you want (if they cared, which they don't or they'd just do it). You can put a BLM sign up if you want. Or you can do neither of those things. Whatever. What you can't do is subject the LKML or the people who participate in kernel development to racist abuse, because that's not actually ok and the CoC now states that more explicitly. That is all. That people have to reach to such desperate conspiracies and obvious falsehoods to validate their "anti-sjw position" shows exactly what that position actually is: uninformed, anti-inclusive, anti-intellectual, inaccurate fear-mongering.
                Last edited by Iksf; 05 July 2020, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by timrichardson View Post
                  Back to the kernel: Get a lwn subscription and hang out with actual devs. Post your opinions there, and see what real kernel devs think of them. It's still a public forum, we can all be educated by the response you trigger, if you have enough credibility to deserve a reply.
                  FWIW, I've E-mailed my dissentiing opinion to the devs listed in the original E-mail. I urge others to do the same- silly stuff like this has to stop.

Comment

• Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
                    I do believe that we are less racist in France than in the US
                    FWIW, in the early 20th century, quite a few Black American performers, artists and authors moved to France to escape the racial conditions in the States (and thrived there).

Comment

• Well, I am surprised, about this bs discussion.
                      “inclusive terminology” is bs, and therefore should not be included in the source code of any kind.
                      But maintainer should start objecting every line of code, which does not follow the current coding style rules.

"Variable, functions and identifier should be composed descriptive to their use."
                      Blacklist does not conform them in the first place.

Neither does master and slave.

If the linux community does not want these common names used, then there should be explicit single word replacement defined within the coding style rules.
                      Not an assortment of possibilities.

Originally posted by kcrudup View Post
                      FWIW, I've E-mailed my dissentiing opinion to the devs listed in the original E-mail. I urge others to do the same- silly stuff like this has to stop.
                      Which of the answers is yours? Haven't seen a reasonable answer to the first email.
                      Only my comment here displays the facts in place, that the inclusion is political bs, unrelated to coding.
                      I don't know how to reply to the list.
                      Last edited by _ONH_; 05 July 2020, 02:29 PM. Reason: Quote

Comment

Working...
                      X