Linux Kernel Preparing New Guidelines For Using Inclusive Terminology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
    So do not expect that kind of people to satisfy themselves much longer with a "yeah whatever". At some point, they will demand you to be one of them, and if you are not they will say you are against them and they will attack you, whoever you are. Look at what happened to Richard Stallman and a few other people.
    Richard Stallman is a leftist himself and a feminist (just read his website), despite what those pseudo-feminist activists could say. Those who lost him were definitely less leftist than him. Most were probably centrists and wanted Stallman's head because he is a leftist.
    Last edited by ALRBP; 05 July 2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

Richard Stallman is a leftist himself and a feminist (just read his website), despite what those pseudo-feminist activists could say. Those who lost him were definitely less leftist than him. Most were probably centrists and wanted Stallman's head because he is a leftist.
      Oh that's well possible. But i don't think he was ousted by centrists because he is a leftist. He was ousted by @ssholes who saw an opportunity to gain prestige by shooting down a known figure and add him to their tally.

What is happening right now has very little to do with being left or right or centre. It has to do with being dumb and self righteous. That why i am worried. I can sometimes side with the left. But i am wary of stupid people. Especially organized stupid people.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

and it is all plain stupid nonsense... blacklist/whitelist is not about skin color.

Master/Slave is not about "Human" slaves for example if you have a robot slave it is perfectly inside of the law. only "Human" slaves are against the law and robot slaves are perfectly fine.
        You mean, you think it is nonsense. Other people seem to think that is no nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

You know there isn't any REAL problem with "whitelist/blacklist" at all, right?
          Those are about light! Like a bright light being a good path and a dark corridor being evil. Is it that hard to understand?

There is NO freaking skin color or race involved when we say "whitelist/blacklist".

...ugh, I'm not talking to you anymore. I won't talk to CoC (corru-*cough*) supporters.
          But that can be against inclusivity too!

What about satanists, vampires and other creatures that dislike or are damaged by light? They might want to use Linux too!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Animals are allowed to be slaves, too. Police dogs, seeing eye dogs, bomb dogs, various rodeo animals, (farm) horses being rode, fruit picking monkeys.
            yes... and nothing of all this has anything to do of black people being slaves.

this social justice worriers of code of conduct bullshit is just the complete bullshit.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Most countries have racial minorities, and it seems many of them have been inspired and encouraged by recent protests they've seen in the US and elsewhere.
              Yes there are always really stupid people that think that they have to fight here in germany against police murder even that happens here not, 10-15 people get shot here each year, I have no racial statistic about it but I would assume it's 0-1 black person, they start to use the term "white old man" and shit like that, they start brutalizing police, only if not 1 black person ever get a relatively harmless racial profiled police control (which here never ends in shootings), they are fine and they think as long as they got not their 100% racist free society they are lisenced to do unlimited terrorism and start violence crimes against police officers, or against property.

They just hate capitalism or are bord or think they are in the end fight against climate change and therefor having a black person in the us killed by police men gives them a good excuse to do their anarchistic hate crimes.

Saying that because here people protest we must have the same problems, is like saying because people protest against muslims they must be evil... where there is smoke there is not always fire.

Comment

Ohh and I nearly forgot if you ban non racist terms and maybe bann people over nonracist terms with the explanaition "you are a racist" what do you think such people vote next time? Or how their view change, do they become less or more racist for getting called a racist when they did nothing racist?

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
                  If a bunch of Nazis can hijack an internet joke and coerce the entire nation to ban a perfectly okay symbol, it's the racists winning, not loosing.
                  Eh, language and signals are overloaded and sometimes not as well-scoped as you'd like.

You want to talk about Nazis hijacking a symbol? The swastika is an ancient religious symbol that originally had nothing to do with white supremacy. It's now banned in many places. Go figure.

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
                  Just as much as nobody thought that signing an OK on CoD was a nod to white supremacists, right?
                  I don't know that nobody thought that. Military cadets were seen flashing it on national TV with very obviously its new connotation in mind. Militarism and white power have an uncomfortably close relationship. Germany just disbanded an elite special ops force, after discovering it had been infiltrated by numerous right-wing extremists. In the US, a white-supremacist Army private is being court-martialed for treason, after leaking details of his unit so that IS fighters could attack it.

In a case like this, it's better for the games publisher to play it safe and just take it out of the game. The game really doesn't lose anything and there's no doubt about the developers' intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
                    I see a minor problem with replacing blacklist with blocklist: it can be confused with blockchain.
                    Finally, a constructive comment!

In the context of the kernel, I'd be more worried about confusing it with a list of "block device" blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by _Alex_ View Post
                      The OK symbol is similar. Its use as "OK" predates a very small minority like 0.00001% who might have made it as a trolling attempt to be something else. Still, 99.999% of the people are using it to say OK. So why should the 99.999% be penalized for some idiots?

So if we make thumbs up a symbol for white supremacy, then we'll mess up all the social media with the like button calling them racists
                      I mostly agree with you, and don't think it should be avoided everywhere -- just in contexts where it's clearly being used to signal its new meaning, or there's significant potential for ambiguity.

What's weird is that most people are fairly sensitive to these sorts of things and tend to stop using it for its old meaning, which just cedes the symbol to the white power trolls. That makes it even more likely that any use you see is the new kind, which is just unfortunate.

Comment

Working...
                      X