Linux Kernel Preparing New Guidelines For Using Inclusive Terminology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

"kill" and "terminate" are two different things for the kernel, so this is not possible.

Honestly, as a French, I do not understand Americans. In France, nobody thinks that "listes noires" (blacklists) are racist, even blackface is not an issue, it's even used as an anti-racist gimmick in "Les aventures de Rabbi Jacob", an anti-racist French movie (great comedy). I do believe that we are less racist in France than in the US (much less racist murders, and racist murderers are much more severely jugged in France) but we would have never considered as racist things that Americans seems to consider racist. I hope my country will be preserved from those new US-inspired "anti-racist" activists that, to me and lots of other French people, looks actually more racist that some of our far-right politicians. I am anti-racist myself but I just can not consider this kind of activist to be anti-racist in any way, to me, it is racist itself. I do not want to hurt US people but maybe they should reconsider their vision of racism and fight real racism, like murders of unfair trials, rather that terms like "slave" or "blacklist" and replace their obsession of race struggle with universalism.
    La tête-de-nègre me fait penser que la France n'est(était) pas si pure que cela...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Yeah what's next? Rename the "kill" program to "terminate" because some crazy people think "kill" involves death, crime or murder?
      Well the "kill" command it was stupid from the beginning, because it means to take life away of a human or animal.
      They should've found a more appropriate term for software.
      There's also a big problem when translating interfaces that have this term where you need to find as close translation as possible to the original which of course conveys somebody's death.

Plus, with the mass surveillance of the phone calls in so many countries, imagine providing technical support for a friend over the phone and telling him "to kill that one" can draw a lot of unnecessary attention to you because of the stupid terms being used instead of something that is clearly computer related and not applying to living beings.
      Also kids are using computers and an appropriate language should be used for them too.
      While this is not the reason Linux is not present in schools, this kind of terms in the interfaces doesn't help its future adoption at all.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        I won't talk to CoC (corru-*cough*) supporters.
        i am absolutely on your side on this.
        these fucking "Liberals" who force Code of Conduct on us are in fact the complete scum .
        in fact they do not help the FLOSS Ecosystem instead they hurt the FLOSS Ecosystem.

and it is all plain stupid nonsense... blacklist/whitelist is not about skin color.

Master/Slave is not about "Human" slaves for example if you have a robot slave it is perfectly inside of the law. only "Human" slaves are against the law and robot slaves are perfectly fine.

and in fact it is not only not about human slaves instead it is not about slaves in the meaning of human-slave at all.

right now we have no human rights for shell scripts or C/C++ programming code programs.
        this means you can abuse your shell script as much as you like without care for human rights at all.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

This crap makes me ashamed to be American. I'm just glad that I'm not the only one who is clearly tired of all these bullshit, feel-good changes that do nothing to solve the problems of racism, poverty, rampant amounts of police abusing their powers while hiding behind qualified immunity, a border gang (Homeland Security) running internment camps, the government not even providing the bare minimum of welfare.

"Hey, y'all, the Linux kernel removed master and slave terminology so the police have decided that walking while black is no longer a crime. I also have it on good regards that if they change blacklist and whitelist to allowlist and denylist that Homeland Security will reunite all the Latino families they've imprisoned trying to escape gang violence. They'll still be imprisoned, but at least they'll be reunited with each other."

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

i am absolutely on your side on this.
            these fucking "Liberals" who force Code of Conduct on us are in fact the complete scum .
            in fact they do not help the FLOSS Ecosystem instead they hurt the FLOSS Ecosystem.

and it is all plain stupid nonsense... blacklist/whitelist is not about skin color.

Master/Slave is not about "Human" slaves for example if you have a robot slave it is perfectly inside of the law. only "Human" slaves are against the law and robot slaves are perfectly fine.

and in fact it is not only not about human slaves instead it is not about slaves in the meaning of human-slave at all.

right now we have no human rights for shell scripts or C/C++ programming code programs.
            this means you can abuse your shell script as much as you like without care for human rights at all.
            Animals are allowed to be slaves, too. Police dogs, seeing eye dogs, bomb dogs, various rodeo animals, (farm) horses being rode, fruit picking monkeys.

Comment

sure, just rename kill to 'sendsig'. if someone REALLY hate it, they can make an alias and move on.

on the whole, I just don't get why people are so against doing 'something', no matter how small.
              even if you dont understand or agree, why rage against making an effort to update/moderate the language being used.
              Times _do_ change, situations change, language matters, intent matters..
              showing you care has value, even though maybe you personally don't see it or couldnt be bothered to question things.

I see so many arguments saying 'doing these things will not fix the problem',...
              but people proceed to not illustrate their own actions around how they might make effective change.
              and generally, they then proceed to take up more space arguing and distracting... which is usually the primary issue they were arguing against in the first place.

we can probably all agree that willful ignorance or a general apathy aren't usually great answers.
              If someone wants to spend effort showing that they actually care, no matter how small or how insignificant, then why not??

Comment

Here we go again.... Feels like there is this massive divide between the SJW's hijacking the Linux kernel and it's users. Most of us just cringe when we see this crap. The people who are offended by this stuff will always find something to be offended by, you give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Comment

Well, this is beyond stupid of course. Not a big deal to me, in my personal life but i could have made an ironic joke about that only to have the joke materialize.

But i have been born and raised to SWJs before even the expression SWJ was coined. At a time when SWJs had explosives and kalashnikovs. And i can tell you, once someone steps in the path of the great combat to rid the world of Evil, they nearly never come back. It is completely and nearly incurably stupid. They'll stay the same at 80. A few years ago we had a bunch of commie terrorists liberated from jail and at their very first interview was about their "struggle" and how evil were the forces they were fighting against. No apologies, no questioning. And they are at pension age.

I like a lot Bryan Lunduke's videos and i agree with most of what he says. But i do not think we are dealing with "kind but misguided" people. Of course PC and SWJ people are sincere. Bo so are the people marching with tiki torches and who believe they defend their loved ones against the evil Jew plot. Everyone is sincere and thinks he's doing good deeds.

So do not expect that kind of people to satisfy themselves much longer with a "yeah whatever". At some point, they will demand you to be one of them, and if you are not they will say you are against them and they will attack you, whoever you are. Look at what happened to Richard Stallman and a few other people.

Comment

Originally posted by cueball View Post

If someone wants to spend effort showing that they actually care, no matter how small or how insignificant, then why not??
                    Because a lot of these "efforts to show that they actually care" don't actually help anything and are causing more divisions than they are bringing people together. Yesterday I heard talks of playing a National Anthem and a Black National Anthem before football. So one National Anthem for Black people and one National Anthem for everybody else? How is that not super racist?

Comment

And the cancer keeps on growing...
                      No lives are saved by this, no developer more will join. But time will be wasted and there will be problems because people don't know what the other means. Now instead of calling a blacklist a blacklist, you first have to search what to call it. And these words will keep on changing...

Please, fork the kernel and start working in assembler without comments. No more human words no more problems. And leave the rest of us with the "toxic" and "noninclusive" version.

Comment

Working...
                      X