55th TOP500 Supercomputer List Topped By Arm-Based Fujitsu A64FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    well, ARM arch has been more tuned to mobile devices than desktop..
    that's why you don't see it in the desktop space, also intel tries to bully any vendor if they threaten his business..
    In fact, the ARMv8 ISA is actually a lot better-suited to desktop computing than x86-64!

x86 lives on mostly through inertia. It's on borrowed time, though.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Where can I get an affordable Ferrari? The most of them are only Mercedes of BMW.
      Hmm... try searching for a 355 on ebay. Now is probably a buyer's market.

Ferrari's are pretty overrated, though. They've been exposed for tuning up the cars they provide to reviewers. So, the actual cars normal people can buy often fall far short of the hype and superlatives. And normal replacement parts are so expensive that they don't make good track cars. IMO, they're basically garage queens and show cars.

If I wanted a fun, older car, I'd probably go for a first gen NSX.

Comment

Peak Flops - it's simply a value you're guaranteed to never exceed ...

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          Hmm... try searching for a 355 on ebay. Now is probably a buyer's market.

Ferrari's are pretty overrated, though. They've been exposed for tuning up the cars they provide to reviewers. So, the actual cars normal people can buy often fall far short of the hype and superlatives. And normal replacement parts are so expensive that they don't make good track cars. IMO, they're basically garage queens and show cars.

If I wanted a fun, older car, I'd probably go for a first gen NSX.
          The reason that Lamborghini (also) builds super cars is because of how bad Ferrari is. Now Lamborghini's were very crude as well, but supposedly now it's with Audi it's very good.

Comment

I saw this talk about this new supercomputer months ago, it goes into a lot of the design ideas behind it:
            Fugaku is the flagship next generation national supercomputer being developed by Riken R-CCS and Fujitsu in collaboration https://www.r-ccs.riken.jp/en/postk...

An other way to look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXhlDt2SD8o
            (maybe ignore the speculation at the end)

What I think this supercomputer means: application specific CPU, etc. design is winning against generic processors like Intel/AMD64.

On the low-end in embedded, a little higher in mobile phones, and also in HPC.

It's creeping into the server and desktop space as well, although those markets are the most generic. So less specialized.

This is also hopefully good news for RISC-V on the long term.
            Last edited by Lennie; 26 June 2020, 06:18 AM.

Comment

There have been a lot of new high core count ARM chips lately, like Amazon's Graviton and Ampere Altra. I wouldn't be surprised if a cheaper version of something like that landed in the hands of us peasants within a year or two. But most people would see more benefit from ARM Cortex-X1. DynamIQ supports up to 32 clusters with 8 cores per cluster, so it would be neat to see a board with 8x Cortex-X1 and 8-32 Cortex-A55 cores, for example.

Comment

Working...
              X