Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55th TOP500 Supercomputer List Topped By Arm-Based Fujitsu A64FX

Phoronix: 55th TOP500 Supercomputer List Topped By Arm-Based Fujitsu A64FX

The newest TOP500 supercomputer list was published today. The newest TOP500 list includes more positions for AMD EPYC supercomputers but to some surprise the Arm-based Fujitsu A64FX-powered supercomputer has topped the list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Where can I get an affordable 24-core ARM board? The most of them are only 8-core.

Comment

I just wish they'd package up some of the reject 48C A64FX chips as 24/32/40 core chips and stick them on affordable dev boards.

Comment

Fugaku can achieve over 1 ExaFLOP computing performance.
        Not according to the Top500 scores where Rmax is just over 400 Pflops. Even Rpeak is only just over 500 and that doesn't count for the official score.

I will say the best part of this machine is the interconnect which provides excellent efficiency. Interconnects are overlooked by the media who can only parse a couple of benchmark numbers but the interconnects are at least as important to real-world use as the processing hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
          I just wish they'd package up some of the reject 48C A64FX chips as 24/32/40 core chips and stick them on affordable dev boards.
          "Affordable dev board" and "server CPU with HBM RAM" don't generally mix.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            I will say the best part of this machine is the interconnect which provides excellent efficiency.
            Indeed, the most impressive number from this system is the HPCG result which leaves others in the dust. This show the emphasis of the Fujitsu team on real application performance, which is the key to success of their previous system "K" as well. Thumbs up for Japan, they have it where it counts.

Other number that surprised me is the perf per watt. Granted, it uses HPL number as input, but still I expected higher number from this system. Seems like Japanese have another team at Preferred Networks that is focusing on HPL numbers and efficiency with their MN-Core thing. I have to look into it to understand what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
              Where can I get an affordable 24-core ARM board? The most of them are only 8-core.
              I feel like I've been asking for an affordable ARM board with decent performance for a very long time now. Unfortunately about the best you'll find won't have all the things you'd normally want on an actual motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

I feel like I've been asking for an affordable ARM board with decent performance for a very long time now.
                And once you get one, it will probably need to run some domain specific Linux distro image because the ARM world cannot decide on an agnostic way to boot the darn things. They can learn a lot from the late 80's PC BIOS

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

And once you get one, it will probably need to run some domain specific Linux distro image because the ARM world cannot decide on an agnostic way to boot the darn things. They can learn a lot from the late 80's PC BIOS
                  Problably, the most affordable way is to get threadripper or ryzen 9 with 24 threads or more.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Linux device tree has significantly improved the situation. Not 100% of the way there yet, but getting there.

Comment

Working...
                    X