Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber77
    replied
    So mozilla currently say ‘We currently offer Mozilla VPN in the US, the UK, Canada, New Zealand, Singapore and Malaysia’. So they are positioning this to these markets; None of which are ‘bad’ for internet censorship. Their website offers me ‘One tap to privacy’. But having a VPN means is that rather than my ISP seeing my traffic, they can see it all. Why are they more trustworthy then Nordvpn, for example? How do I not know they are not owned by a company that is owned by a company that is owned by the Chinese state?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Giovanni Fabbro View Post
    So explain this then with your ageist attitude: why is it that "millions of dollars" worth of Bitcoin just "disappears" when Bitcoin exchanges inevitably go tits up because they have no liquidity to back transactions, and people lose their entire wallets worth?
    Because the value of everything is determined by its demand, no exceptions.
    This is true with paper money as well, there have been enough cases where the value of some state's paper money went down to zero and everybody lost everything

When markets collapse and fake money, including Bitcoin, has no value, you're gonna wish you had some kind of limited-allocation physical resource to barter with.
    Find me a limited-allocation physical resource whose value is not determined by its demand.

Barter is just a way to trade, the value of the traded objects still follows the same principles.

For example nobody is going to give a shit about gold in a survival situation, so its value is going to be zero even in barter.

And with barter the value of all commodities will swing even more wildly depending on how much each buyer will need them, now that converting them into something else is so much harder.
    If you have a water well at home the value you give to water in a barter is zero, if you have a stash of food the value you give to additional food is also zero.
    If you have no way to defend a gold stockpile or caravan from raiders/thieves, the value you give to gold gets into the negative, i.e. you want to get rid of it asap to avoid attracting unwanted attention.

Leave a comment:

• klapaucius
    replied
    Just bumping up again to notify that Mozilla VPN client is now available on Linux too, well, actually there's only a package for Ubuntu at the moment, but it's hosted on github, so soon we might have other packages as well.

Leave a comment:

• kislwein
    replied

Are they using Mullvad for the commercial rollout which costs money though? Was the beta free? Personally I don't really care either way - I wouldn't use it.
    Pretty cool and awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Giovanni Fabbro
    replied
    Originally posted by Almindor View Post

So you're saying a paper printer dollar has intristic value beyond the paper itself somehow but a digital in your bank dollar has none? Contradiction much?
    Watch this:

Leave a comment:

• Giovanni Fabbro
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Without either the current civilization would collapse anyway.

You have no fucking clue of what you are talking about.

In all cryptovalues EVERY SINGLE MINER has a copy of the full transaction log (the "block chain"), there is no way in hell that you can erase hundreds of thousands of drives all over the world like that.

Yeah because you are a boomer and don't comprehend basic economics.
    Apart from the fact that you (the user) don't store bitcoins on a hard drive, and all miners have a copy of the same transaction log of all transactions in the world, gold's "intrinsic value" is another completely BS concept. Gold's true intrinsic value as a resource isn't that much as it really does not serve a whole lot of purposes where you need a ton of it, most of its value is dictated by people's belief in it, just like diamonds or dollars.

Which is why it can swing in value by 200-300% up or down as economical or political situations change, and can also go down to zero in case "electricity and stable storage" disappear (and the current civilization collapses).
    So explain this then with your ageist attitude: why is it that "millions of dollars" worth of Bitcoin just "disappears" when Bitcoin exchanges inevitably go tits up because they have no liquidity to back transactions, and people lose their entire wallets worth?

When markets collapse and fake money, including Bitcoin, has no value, you're gonna wish you had some kind of limited-allocation physical resource to barter with.

Leave a comment:

• Almindor
    replied

A dollar. So long as it's cash and not deposited in a bank.
    So you're saying a paper printer dollar has intristic value beyond the paper itself somehow but a digital in your bank dollar has none? Contradiction much?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

And the credit card processor will have your ID on file too.
    Unless you use a prepaid creditcard.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    A VPN reduce sensibly what are you doing with your data, unless you use tor, but tor download are constantly under radar so you do that at your own risk...

The point is, Mozilla, which is not even perfect, is the last one standing against the second dark age of internet (the former was the age of IE6) and it needs a method to sustain itself rather than continuing taking money from Guugle. We should support it if we want an Internet that is not completely monopolized by Guggule.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Sounds like my feelings on driverless cars. One one hand, they can't be worse than the human drivers — on the other hand, they're software written by humans. So do I trust human drivers more than I trust human software developers... being both of these things myself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X