• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giovanni Fabbro View Post
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Rucus bocus mini modi.

Comment

Free VPN is like using a Roku to watch TV.

Harvest, harvest and more harvesting.

Use your Roku to find the tv show Ed the Talking Horse and you will get a hundred commercials for ED products.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
        free vpn is like using a roku to watch tv.

Harvest, harvest and more harvesting.

Use your roku to find the tv show ed the talking horse and you will get a hundred commercials for ed products.
        a horse is a horse, of course, of course.

Unless that horse is mister......
        **buy more pharmaceuticals!**

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post

So? Maybe I'm just not privacy-minded enough but wouldn't that just tell someone, if they managed to get Mullvad's financial records, that you have a VPN account with them? With no logs there's nothing to tie your account, and CC number, to your traffic. The only way I can see having your account directly tied to your real identity is if your VPN provider keeps logs. And at that point they already have your IP address and the VPN traffic it corralates with anyway.
          It's been established that credit card processing companies will sell your purchase history to advertisers. Add in a VPN subscription, and they might flag you as being a sort-of extremist. It affects your other purchase options, one of the biggest of which is insurance.

Comment

A VPN to your home just routes the traffic to your home. No different than if you set yourself up as an open Tor node.

Maybe people should quit bellyaching on social media (this isn't specific to Phoronix forums - I'm just generalizing) about their ISP and just get the direct number for their Chief Privacy and/or Technology Officer and get an on-the-record account of their privacy policy and ask them hard questions about whether or not they monetize user data, and how they do it, as well as an account of who they do it with. Then you at least have something to back up what you want to bitch about and can use their words against them in a public forum. Remember, companies use scare tactics to sell you shit. The IT industry is full of that, all the way back to when anti-virus software was created.

The Internet is made for making connections. If you want privacy, don't Internet. Go outside maybe. And leave your phone at home.
            Bars are also for making connections. Sometimes we lie about our names and wear condoms when interacting with people met in bars.

Comment

It's been established that credit card processing companies will sell your purchase history to advertisers. Add in a VPN subscription, and they might flag you as being a sort-of extremist. It affects your other purchase options, one of the biggest of which is insurance.
              I guess cryptocurrency suddenly looks pretty good huh? No need for those pesky credit companies. Some VPNs will accept BTC so you can buy "anonymously" but of course they still see your IP in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Bars are also for making connections. Sometimes we lie about our names and wear condoms when interacting with people met in bars.
                Smart people stay away from bars because they don't want to risk catching a virus from a broken condom.

Comment

Smart people stay away from bars because they don't want to risk catching a virus from a broken condom.
                  "Protect your floppy, before you copy"

Comment

$5/mo is a little steep for most of the world. And that 5 device limit sure doesn't help.
                    Last edited by bug77; 18 June 2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

I guess cryptocurrency suddenly looks pretty good huh? No need for those pesky credit companies. Some VPNs will accept BTC so you can buy "anonymously" but of course they still see your IP in the end.
                      No. Cryptocurrency never looks good. I'd say cryptocurrency is like buying fool's gold, but fool's gold is an actual thing. Cryptocurrency is no different than money deposited into a bank account - it's just electrons aligned on a hard drive that can be manipulated on a whim. The real commodity in cryptocurrency is electricity to run the machines to store it. I had this discussion elsewhere....

Comment

Working...
                      X