Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox Private Network Is Now Official As Mozilla VPN

Phoronix: Firefox Private Network Is Now Official As Mozilla VPN

Following a beta period since last year as the Firefox Private Network, Mozilla's virtual private network offering is now going official and under the Mozilla VPN branding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      $5/month for privacy seems fair.
      And the credit card processor will have your ID on file too.

Comment

But why this over any other vpn?

Or why a payed VPN at all?
        VPN to your home if you are out, and get a better ISP if you don't trust yours, and Tribler or tor if you want
        Last edited by elatllat; 18 June 2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Mozilla was just reselling mullvad.net last year. Have they established their own infrastructure since?

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
            But why this over any other vpn?

Or why a payed VPN at all?
            VPN to your home if you are out, and get a better ISP if you don't trust yours, and Tribler or tor if you want

A VPN to your home just routes the traffic to your home. No different than if you set yourself up as an open Tor node.

Maybe people should quit bellyaching on social media (this isn't specific to Phoronix forums - I'm just generalizing) about their ISP and just get the direct number for their Chief Privacy and/or Technology Officer and get an on-the-record account of their privacy policy and ask them hard questions about whether or not they monetize user data, and how they do it, as well as an account of who they do it with. Then you at least have something to back up what you want to bitch about and can use their words against them in a public forum. Remember, companies use scare tactics to sell you shit. The IT industry is full of that, all the way back to when anti-virus software was created.

The Internet is made for making connections. If you want privacy, don't Internet. Go outside maybe. And leave your phone at home.

Comment

Ah VPNs, selling false hope of privacy and security for the fools since forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni Fabbro View Post

Not really. They work over Mullvad. You can go as far as send them an anonimous letter with 5€ and your auto-generated account id if you wish. I'm not kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post

Not really. They work over Mullvad. You can go as far as send them an anonimous letter with 5€ and your auto-generated account id if you wish. I'm not kidding.
                  Are they using Mullvad for the commercial rollout which costs money though? Was the beta free? Personally I don't really care either way - I wouldn't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni Fabbro View Post

So? Maybe I'm just not privacy-minded enough but wouldn't that just tell someone, if they managed to get Mullvad's financial records, that you have a VPN account with them? With no logs there's nothing to tie your account, and CC number, to your traffic. The only way I can see having your account directly tied to your real identity is if your VPN provider keeps logs. And at that point they already have your IP address and the VPN traffic it corralates with anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X