Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 18.04's Heavily Patched Kernel Opens Door To Lockdown Bypass, Breaks Secure Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code:
    apt install linux-generic-hwe-18.04-edge
    And there you go, kernel 5.4. It's really not that hard, people. Not using a HWE kernel on Ubuntu LTS is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I really hope you mean 5.6.x series. But there's probably even more people on the 5.4.x branch since that's currently both the kernel.org LTS kernel and Ubuntu's LTS kernel.
      No, I did mean—save for an orthographic error—3.16. Which is advertised as "longterm"/LTS on kernel.org.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        So this delay happens because they are retarded?
        Noun

retard (plural retards)
        1. Retardation; delay.
        Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Noun

retard (plural retards)
          1. Retardation; delay.
          Yep.
          What's the meaning of retarded as adjective?

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
            No, I did mean—save for an orthographic error—3.16. Which is advertised as "longterm"/LTS on kernel.org.
            I guess 3.16 is most likely for android and lazy phone vendors not upgrading their HAL

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

But these distributions are intentionally making it harder on themselves and that directly increases the likelihood of human error. Instead of a bunch of eyes on the problem, everyone is looking at different places.
              Why do you think they do it? Do you think they do it because they enjoy having to worry about it by increasing their work? Or more likely since the release cycles of the kernels are different from the release cycles of the distributions, are they forced to do so?
              It seems obvious to me that if they could use the Lts kernel and would not increase their workload, there are things that cannot be done.
              In addition, Leap 15.2 is not a new version of Leap, but it is a service pack, updating the kernel to 5.3. * Will only be kept for 12 months or so.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I guess 3.16 is most likely for android and lazy phone vendors not upgrading their HAL
                No, that was 3.18. 3.16 is for Debian oldoldstable.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

4.15 had much better AMD drivers than 4.14: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...PU-DC-Accepted
                  That's what HWE kernels are for on Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Why do you think they do it? Do you think they do it because they enjoy having to worry about it by increasing their work? Or more likely since the release cycles of the kernels are different from the release cycles of the distributions, are they forced to do so?
                    It seems obvious to me that if they could use the Lts kernel and would not increase their workload, there are things that cannot be done.
                    In addition, Leap 15.2 is not a new version of Leap, but it is a service pack, updating the kernel to 5.3. * Will only be kept for 12 months or so.
                    I assume because it varies. Sometimes it's because drivers are released/updated after the LTS, sometimes it's bad timing.

It's not like any, possibly very many, of us here actually sit on these committees to know why they make some of the choices they make so all we can do is guess and speculate.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                      Code:
                      apt install linux-generic-hwe-18.04-edge
                      And there you go, kernel 5.4. It's really not that hard, people. Not using a HWE kernel on Ubuntu LTS is stupid.
                      Nope; Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS fails to provide any kernels that are maintained upstream:

Code:
                      while read P ; do apt show "$P" 2>/dev/null | grep Version ; done < <(apt search linux-signed-image 2>/dev/null | grep -P "^l" | perl -pe 's/\/.*//g') | sort -ru
                      Version: 5.3.0.59.113
                      Version: 5.3.0.53.110
                      Version: 5.3.0.1028.25
                      Version: 5.3.0.1024.22
                      Version: 5.0.0.1034.38
                      Version: 5.0.0.1021.26
                      Version: 4.15.0.1089.60
                      Version: 4.15.0.106.94
                      Version: 4.15.0.1045.54

Code:
                      curl -s https://www.kernel.org/ | grep strong | perl -pe 's/.*<strong>//g;s/<.*//g' | grep -P "^\d"
                      5.8-rc1

Comment

Working...
                      X