Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mroche
    replied
    For the time being, this seems to be specific to the P series and ThinkStation models. The word workstation is very intentional, and the X and T series are their ultraportable and business grade lineups, not workstation (doesn’t matter how you use the device, it’s how they deem it). The P series is explicitly marked as a workstation lineup.

I’m excited, hope, and expect this to expand to the other lineups, though they are already reasonably well known to work very well with Linux distributions. But certifications and OOTB Linux can’t hurt either

Cheers,
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied

And what is going to change exactly? Isn't they already been doing this for years?

Leave a comment:

• StarterX4
    replied
    Why not IdeaPad line too?

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    Users demand on the workstation lines are more likely to be developers for servers and the like, I'd guess.

Lenovo is a Chinese company with headquarters in Beijing, though. While they haven't been directly targeted by the US government like ZTE, Huawei, and China Telecom, the Chinese govt is mandating that all Chinese companies wean themselves off US technology dependence over time as a matter of national security. Lenovo likely sees the writing on the wall and is trying to do some diversification here with offering more than just Microsoft Windows. Microsoft could at any time be ordered to stop supporting Chinese corporations, much like Huawei can't legally release new phone designs with GAPS outside of China.

Much as Trump would like to, he can't stop companies like Huawei and Lenovo from using GPL or BSD licensed projects from public repositories and using them with impunity. Fedora is just RHEL testing grounds, it doesn't contain anything proprietary nor is it directly supported by RedHat or IBM.

Leave a comment:

• bemerk
    replied
    Time for Core boot

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I hope so too, but now at least it's clearly only P.
    The article indeed says the following:

Lenovo is moving to certify the full workstation portfolio for top Linux distributions

And then only at a later point does it mention the P series.

If you look at the list of devices that they plan to sell with Fedora (in the earlier announcement), you can see that the X1 Carbon is also one of them, so maybe that's a hint that this isn't only about the P series.

Leave a comment:

• klapaucius
    replied
    Originally posted by maffblaster View Post
    This is a big deal. I've purchased Thinkpads for years (even after IBM sold the brand to Lenovo). Most recently I went with a Dell XPS and the experience is not even close. Next laptop (which will likely be the Ryzen 4000 series, I'll be switching bad to my first love: the Thinkpad.
    Would you like to elaborate on that? I'm thinking of switching from my current old Lenovo (Yoga 2, not thinkpad) to a Dell XPS, and I'd be interested to know why the experience is not even close.

Leave a comment:

• Dr.N0
    replied
    Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post

Please what is MX?
    Probably MX Linux: https://mxlinux.org/.

Leave a comment:

• horizonbrave
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    And now with MX everything seems to just work.
    Please what is MX?

Leave a comment:

• lejeczek
    replied
    Fcuking tastik!!!! I've been banging and commenting Leonovo ThinkPads for a few years now, including Fedora's mailing list, as I started mixing in Lenovo's into HP Pro/Elite Books stack that I've managed for even more years.
    I will still call Lenovo _morons_ for it took them this long to realise that LINUXes are the future(not just of the datacentre market!) !!!
    Lots love, xxx.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X