No announcement yet.

Lenovo To Certify Their Full ThinkPad/ThinkStation Line For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, please fix the misleading title and article text. The title says "Lenovo To Certify Their Full ThinkPad/ThinkStation Line For Linux", but they are only certifying the P series ThinkPads, not the full line of ThinkPads. They are certifying the full line of ThinkStations.

The article text also says

Lenovo plans to certify their complete ThinkPad and ThinkStation workstation portfolio for Linux moving forward. The ThinkPad P series in particular is what they plan to certify and the complete ThinkStation line-up.
    The first sentence is wrong.

From the Lenovo press release (emphasis mine):

Our entire portfolio of ThinkStation and ThinkPad P Series workstations will now be certified via both Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Ubuntu LTS [...]
    I'd love to be wrong here

Comment

Originally posted by ajboyle View Post
      LOVE THIS.

This really goes a long way toward overcoming Linux "desktop" objections. I've been a Linux user since about 1999, and proper hardware support was always a big question mark.

I hope this a trend, and I suspect it is.
      I started in 98 or 99 and never had much of a problem, just always picked supported hardware. Can't recall the last time I really had to worry about it, devices have worked out of the box for years. Maybe because I was using suse and opensuse most of that time. Those German engineers always took good care of us. And now with MX everything seems to just work.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Misleading title. It's not full Thinkpad line, only Thinkpad P. All Thinkpads would be really great though.
        "Now, I’m excited to share Lenovo is moving to certify the full workstation portfolio for top Linux distributions from Ubuntu® and Red Hat® – every model, every configuration."

I wonder if it means P for now and moving towards certifying every model? Really hope this is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by clementhk View Post

"Now, I’m excited to share Lenovo is moving to certify the full workstation portfolio for top Linux distributions from Ubuntu® and Red Hat® – every model, every configuration."

I wonder if it means P for now and moving towards certifying every model? Really hope this is the case.
          I hope so too, but now at least it's clearly only P.

Comment

Fcuking tastik!!!! I've been banging and commenting Leonovo ThinkPads for a few years now, including Fedora's mailing list, as I started mixing in Lenovo's into HP Pro/Elite Books stack that I've managed for even more years.
            I will still call Lenovo _morons_ for it took them this long to realise that LINUXes are the future(not just of the datacentre market!) !!!
            Lots love, xxx.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              And now with MX everything seems to just work.
              Please what is MX?

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post

Please what is MX?
                Probably MX Linux: https://mxlinux.org/.

Comment

Originally posted by maffblaster View Post
                  This is a big deal. I've purchased Thinkpads for years (even after IBM sold the brand to Lenovo). Most recently I went with a Dell XPS and the experience is not even close. Next laptop (which will likely be the Ryzen 4000 series, I'll be switching bad to my first love: the Thinkpad.
                  Would you like to elaborate on that? I'm thinking of switching from my current old Lenovo (Yoga 2, not thinkpad) to a Dell XPS, and I'd be interested to know why the experience is not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I hope so too, but now at least it's clearly only P.
                    The article indeed says the following:

Lenovo is moving to certify the full workstation portfolio for top Linux distributions

And then only at a later point does it mention the P series.

If you look at the list of devices that they plan to sell with Fedora (in the earlier announcement), you can see that the X1 Carbon is also one of them, so maybe that's a hint that this isn't only about the P series.

Comment

Time for Core boot

Comment

Working...
                      X