• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    CochainComplex

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
    Any nice AMD CPU + AMD GPU (or APU) options in their line up? Preferably Aluminium or Carbonfibre rather than (cheap) plastic.
    I recently asked a similar question to the sales department for business products (Lenovo Germany). (If there are any AMD Ryzen based Workstations in their business lineup) - they have replyeed no and there will also be none in the near future.

Leave a comment:

• Trevelyan
    Phoronix Member

• Trevelyan
    replied
    Any nice AMD CPU + AMD GPU (or APU) options in their line up? Preferably Aluminium or Carbonfibre rather than (cheap) plastic.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by Teggs View Post
    What the Communist Party truly wants is hardware and software under their thumb, as the US has with Windows
    China has this already. Microsoft is supplying the Communist Party with a custom win10 build. Win10 CGE. China Government Edition. Whereas plain win10 is pure spyware, sending all manner of telemetry back to Microsoft, by default, the Win10 CGE has all that spyware disabled. Microsoft also supplied the Communist Party with the Win10 CGE source code under NDA. Microsoft stock has nearly doubled in the past year, due in large part to the truckloads of $$$ the Communist Party is paying them. Not that I use any Microsoft products, but makes me loathe the Redmond turd that much more.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    Chinese govt is mandating that all Chinese companies wean themselves off US technology dependence over time as a matter of national security.
    The US would be well served to aim for the same. As nice as the ThinkPads are to use, It's nonsensical that DoD uses Chinese-made IT equipment.

Leave a comment:

• ONLYDOWNDOGS

• ONLYDOWNDOGS
    replied
    Does this mean potential hardware support for older models? Really isn't necessary, but it would be nice if the thumbprint reader on my T470 worked.

Leave a comment:

• zexelon

• zexelon
    replied
    Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

Are you living in the 1985-2005 era?
    Alas no I am not... that was about the last good ATI stint. Since then Nvidia has dominated just about every emerging technology.

Leave a comment:

• Teggs

• Teggs
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    ...the Chinese govt is mandating that all Chinese companies wean themselves off US technology dependence over time as a matter of national security.
    That is what came into my mind as well. What the Communist Party truly wants is hardware and software under their thumb, as the US has with Windows and Intel's ME and AMD's PSP. They don't have that, and they won't for a good while, so they are for now accepting half-measures such as hardware and software that are under no one's thumb. Lenovo is reasonably positioning themselves to be acceptable to the State by offering Linux (software), and will possibly offer Centaur or other (hardware) when that becomes performant at acceptable levels, at least in the domestic market. That is my reading of it, as opposed to 'Lenovo thinks Linux is gaining importance on a professional level!' It could be both...

The effort has been going on for a while: https://money.cnn.com/2014/05/20/tec...s-8/index.html

And has recently gained urgency: https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/09/ch...state-offices/

Domestic Chinese CPU efforts are usable, but not competitive, as reviewed by GamersNexus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIgBsz1MduI

Leave a comment:

• illwieckz

• illwieckz
    replied
    Originally posted by zexelon View Post
    if I was only gaming ATI would be carefully evaluated in my analysis.
    Are you living in the 1985-2005 era?

Leave a comment:

• andyprough

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post

Please what is MX?
    MX Linux is a distro that's based on Debian which is optimized for typical desktop use. It's the successor to an older popular distro that was called Mepis. Lot of the old Mepis people are involved in it.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad

• sarmad
    replied
    We will certify our laptops for Linux, but when you buy one of those laptops to run Linux on it you still have to pay us for the Windows license. Also, we won't tell you on our website which of those is certified, you'll have to dig the world wide web for that info.

No thanks, I'll stick to original Linux vendors like System76, Purism, StarLabs, Slimbook, Tuxedo, etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X