Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Engineers Are Becoming Concerned Over Some Arm Platforms Lacking Spectre V2 Mitigations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    In the Google post, they are putting the onus on the right people. Namely ARM.
    Can you point to that statement?

All I've seen is this:

Kristof: would anyone at ARM be interested in contributing Retpolines for AArch64?
    which is a different matter as they're asking ARM for help in making Retpoline in LLVM, not blaming them for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
      Can you point to that statement?

All I've seen is this:

which is a different matter as they're asking ARM for help in making Retpoline in LLVM, not blaming them for anything.

would anyone at ARM be interested in contributing Retpolines for AArch64?
      They didn't mention any licensees, they named ARM specifically. I didn't take that as a blame, merely a directed request at a specific company.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
        Last line in the Wikipedia: In April 2018, Keller joined Intel. :-D
        Implying what? Nothing he's designed in that timeframe at Intel is in any shipping chip. Nor will it be for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
          Sure, but take a look at his entire track record. Intel should have hired him way earlier.
          Yes, yes... that's exactly what I mean: it seems that Intel definitely knew that it had to fix all the s**t in their designs, so they hired precisely HIM :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Larry$ilverstein View Post
            Implying what? Nothing he's designed in that timeframe at Intel is in any shipping chip. Nor will it be for a few years.
            Exactly: I'm implying that Intel hired him to fix all the problems with Spectre, meltdown et al. :-D The dates are consistent: Spectre and meltdown were made public in January 2018, and he was hired in April 2018 ;-)
            Last edited by rastersoft; 28 May 2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post

Exactly: I'm implying that Intel hired him to fix all the problems with Spectre, meltdown et al. :-D The dates are consistent: Spectre and meltdown were made public in January 2018, and he was hired in April 2018 ;-)
              :-D

BTW, these attacks target textbook technologies. Essentially, if you do computer microarchitecture research (as I did), they first teach you all the standard stuff - like how the caches, branch predictors, store-load forwarding, etc., work. At a high level, of course. Pretty much all modern processors do similar things, and all of them are timing-attack vulnerable.

Intel seems to be doing a bit worse with these vulnerabilities, but the others aren't spared - not even close.
              Last edited by vladpetric; 28 May 2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Proper approach would still be disabling all mitigations on all platforms and imprisoning those who exploit the vulnerabilities. It's a crime after all, in most countries.

You don't stop selling knives because some people use them to kill. You don't lock cars to 10 km/h because some people cause accidents.
                And you don't sell houses without locks on the doors, just because it is illegal to rob your clients and the police should arrest the criminals....

Seriously, think before you write.

Comment

lol, these forums are a troll's paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Not generally,.. Majority of people have got some moral standards in themselves. Only some individuals, maybe 1% or less, are that selfish, and focus on own gain on expense of others. However, these individuals can do lots of harm.

I saw many times parked car with open window, or some house with open garage without present owner, or keys left in the door from the outside, and never crossed my mind to take advantage of it,..

The worse part is, that morals are subjective. Ie. one can truly think, that he's rightful to do so,.. The other one is rich, and world belongs to everybody evenly,.. Regardless of how much one contributes back,... This is a twisted thinking of individual(s), but it's common. Even, some open-source movements are based on this view...
                    But have you ever gone hungry? Have you ever had to beg for food? Have you ever slept on the street?
                    The living conditions of people makes the difference!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                      But have you ever gone hungry? Have you ever had to beg for food? Have you ever slept on the street?
                      The living conditions of people makes the difference!
                      What a bizarre way to derail a thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X