Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds Switches To AMD Ryzen Threadripper After 15 Years Of Intel Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by coder View Post
    Further proof that you're just lashing out to get that dopamine hit, or else you might've actually read the part of my post where I specifically distinguished external memory bus width from on-chip feature disablement.
    Not at all. Further proof that I have a reason to see the market from multiple directions. One thing I work with is equipment for fixed installations. Equipment where there is a need to keep down the cost, and where a second memory channel would not add any value - just cost.

The dopamine hit is something you focus on - or you wouldn't have entered this sub-thread debate with so much venom. Have you forgotten you called me prejudiced because I noted that not all people can afford to - or are interested in - paying for dual-channel memory? Secondly - who wrote "is so fucking wrong" etc? That's the language of someone looking for personal rewards by choice of how to argue.

And your posts have been 100% focused on your anger at single-channel memory - which isn't a question of any on-chip feature disablement. That's a back-tracking when cornered.

But even them are often very real questions of economy. When NVidia are making their chips, lots of chips fails the testing process and has to be thrown away. Except that it's possible to deactivate the broken cores and sell the chip as a lower-end variant. And this isn't a new concept. The original ZX Spectrum had 16 or 48 kB RAM. The 48 kB variant had one 16 kB bank of DRAM memory and one 32 kB bank. Just that there wasn't any 32 kB memory chips produced. Lord Sinclair bought failed 64 kbit chips and then bonded the address wires so that 32 of the 64 kbit that was working well ended up at lowest address. That gave him access to cheap memory chips - and the world got access to a 48 kB ZX Spectrum cheaper than otherwise possible.

Was same with old Intel chips - i486DX chips with broken floating point module had the module deactivated and was sold as i486SX chips. Then the market ended up large enough - acual users interested in buying a cheaper chip because floating point wasn't much needed - that Intel ended up having to redesign and manufacture 486SX chips that was from start without floating point.

Comment

• Originally posted by zyxxel View Post
      Not at all. Further proof that I have a reason to see the market from multiple directions. One thing I work with is equipment for fixed installations. Equipment where there is a need to keep down the cost, and where a second memory channel would not add any value - just cost.
      Did you just mix coder and duby229?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomin View Post

Yes, I just did.

The result of spending all night doing an installation job. Makes the brain mushy. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomin View Post
          Thanks for that.

Originally posted by zyxxel View Post
          Yes, I just did.
          You can edit or delete you post, if you want. For now, I'll disregard.

Originally posted by zyxxel View Post
          The result of spending all night doing an installation job. Makes the brain mushy. Sorry for the confusion.
          Do get your sleep, but L-Theanine can mitigate Glutamate toxicity and N-Acetyl Cysteine can quickly normalize Glutamate levels. Creatine is awesome for boosting mental clarity on low sleep, but you quickly build a tolerance to it.
          Last edited by coder; 08 June 2020, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that.

You can edit or delete you post, if you want. For now, I'll disregard.

Do get your sleep, but L-Theanine can mitigate Glutamate toxicity and N-Acetyl Cysteine can quickly normalize Glutamate levels. Creatine is awesome for boosting mental clarity on low sleep, but you quickly build a tolerance to it.
            It's better people can see I f*kd up than pretend it didn't happen. The world has enough people who likes to pretend they can never be wrong, and instead tries to move goal posts when cornered. Lessons learned - think and reread a second and a third time if visiting a forum after having burned all energy on a full-night system update. Or wait until after having had a long nights sleep.

Comment

• Originally posted by zyxxel View Post
              Or wait until after having had a long nights sleep.
              Glycine and magnesium can both improve sleep quality. If I also take 0.3 mg of melatonin (but not more!), I get the benefits of 9 hours' sleep in just about 6.

Comment

• ...just came back to se how this thread develops .... Linus switches to AMD ....no we are in Brainchemistry ...that is an interesting twist.

Comment

• Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                  ...just came back to se how this thread develops .... Linus switches to AMD ....no we are in Brainchemistry ...that is an interesting twist.
                  Well, there was an outrage flareup over the GPUs in AMD's new APUs, and then another one about the morality of AMD allowing notebook makers to sell them in single-channel memory configurations.

So, I'd say brain chemistry is an improvement. And if you don't agree, have some N-Acetyl Tyrosine and maybe you'll reconsider.
                  Last edited by coder; 10 June 2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Well, there was an outrage flareup over the GPUs in AMD's new APUs, and then another one about the morality of AMD allowing notebook makers to sell them in single-channel memory configurations.

So, I'd say brain chemistry is an improvement. And if you don't agree, have some Acetyl-L-Tyrosine and maybe you'll reconsider.
                    As long as you don't want to give me Haloperidol....btw I like Tryptophan rich food.

Comment

• According to ZDNet, his last build was an i9-9900k.

Comment

Working...
                      X