Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds Switches To AMD Ryzen Threadripper After 15 Years Of Intel Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Not only that, but AMD was ahead of their time, even with the maligned Bulldozer arch. In its day, the FX desktop and Opteron 4xxx/6xxx server chips were ridiculed for their relatively poor single thread performance. Offering 8 cores where intel i5/i7 topped out at 4, the software ecosystem didn't really exist then to take advantage of all the cores. Here in 2020 though, there is lots of software and even games that will use all 8 cores. Plus the fact that those intel chips are now bogged down by vulnerability mitigations. So we find Bulldozer systems are now outperforming their period intel rivals, and actually still make for decent budget systems still today! Kind of funny to see such a reversal on old hardware. Typing this from an Opteron 4376 running Fedora 32 fwiw.
    Very true. I'm typing this from a Dual Opteron 6344 system running Fedora 32 also.

Comment

Not only that, but AMD was ahead of their time, even with the maligned Bulldozer arch. In its day, the FX desktop and Opteron 4xxx/6xxx server chips were ridiculed for their relatively poor single thread performance. Offering 8 cores where intel i5/i7 topped out at 4, the software ecosystem didn't really exist then to take advantage of all the cores. Here in 2020 though, there is lots of software and even games that will use all 8 cores. Plus the fact that those intel chips are now bogged down by vulnerability mitigations. So we find Bulldozer systems are now outperforming their period intel rivals, and actually still make for decent budget systems still today! Kind of funny to see such a reversal on old hardware. Typing this from an Opteron 4376 running Fedora 32 fwiw.
      To be fair, it's hard to justify such old hardware when you can hit ebay for used hardware and get a first gen Ryzen build for cheap that runs circles around them

Especially RAM prices.

Comment

Nothing is free. The only time the rich get free stuff is when it's mutually beneficial. Endorsement, product placement, etc. has tremendous marketing reach.
        Rich people get free stuff even when it is not beneficial for them (i.e. not mutually beneficial), just because it is beneficial to the product marketing.

That's why they get a ton of free shit, plus all stuff that gives "benefits" if you are rich enough, like expensive credit cards with air miles and Concierge service.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          Good choice. Congratulations Linus. I'm going to do the same, but I also want Power as a second computer. Arm is also interesting..
          If I would have a broader budget - PowerPC (Raptor stuff not the old Apple thing) would be a nice to have hobby gimick.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Even 256 GB would be enough for me as my current laptop with 8 GB is more than good enough for me
            16GB RAM is enough for the most workloads ATM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              To be fair, it's hard to justify such old hardware when you can hit ebay for used hardware and get a first gen Ryzen build for cheap that runs circles around them
              Oh, for sure. I'm not suggesting anyone take up a new FX build. I'm talking more to old cheapskates like myself who are still using their rig from 2013. With 8 cores it's still a viable machine for basic work, as you can actually take advantage of all 8 cores today.

Especially RAM prices.
              Can't say I agree with you here. Old server equipment is real cheap on ebay. I recently upgraded this Opteron 4376 desktop to 32 GB. 32 GB of Registered ECC DDR3 was $69 bucks used, for good Crucial/Micron parts. Sixty Nine dollars for 32 GB! You can't get DDR4 anywhere near that cheap, especially Reg ECC sticks.

Comment

True I bought the FX8350 at that time for compiling and FEM Simulation. Couldn't get any cheaper workhorse. Even today it shows decent performance with e.g. Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Lets say real respectively porper multithreaded applications still run nicely considered the age and the price.

Comment

Rich people get free stuff even when it is not beneficial for them (i.e. not mutually beneficial), just because it is beneficial to the product marketing.
                  Things have value. Therefore, receiving something of value is always beneficial. Ergo, it's always a mutually beneficial exchange when someone prominent is gifted an item in exchange for the marketing exposure. Not sure how getting a free expensive thing cannot be construed as beneficial to the recipient?

That's why they get a ton of free shit, plus all stuff that gives "benefits" if you are rich enough, like expensive credit cards with air miles and Concierge service.
                  And have you looked at the annual fee on those credit cards? The Amex Black card, long the staple of uber-wealthy spenders, has a $7,500 initiation fee plus $2,500 annual maintenance fee. And it requires you to spend $250,000 per year using the card, of which Amex collects a percentage from the merchants. These perks aren't free, the card holders pay for them, and in the case of these exclusive credit cards, they pay quite a lot! Amex is the one laughing all the way to the bank, not their wealthy clientele.

Nothing is free. This is especially true if you're rich.
                  Last edited by torsionbar28; 25 May 2020, 12:34 PM.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e92pHUqnNdM

Comment

About fucking time I guess.

I recall he had an i7 6700K as his main machine? Even a 3900X would run circles around it.

Comment

Working...
                      X