Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds Switches To AMD Ryzen Threadripper After 15 Years Of Intel Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
    Is there really that much difference between the Threadripper and Intel's latest offering?
    Does Intel have anything in the works to counter with?
    I believe that 3x comment is specifically referring to recent kernel-compile-time comparisons (something Linus, presumably, does rather a lot of, so it is a fair comparison in this particular case! ). For more general tasks you may or may not see that much improvement! (though I would still expect some improvement for most tasks, just not necessarily 3x).
    Last edited by Viki Ai; 25 May 2020, 03:21 AM.

Comment

This is a great news. Always there can be some improvements for AMD now easily tested by him

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        I don't care what distro/desktop/CPU/whatever Linus prefers any more than I care what mouse Jonathan "Fatal1ty" Wendel uses. What nonsense.
        Well you should it is not about Kylie Jenner wears Gucci. If Linus uses AMD Threadripper you can be damn sure if there is a Kernel Bug* it will be targeted rather fast. Since the "head" of Linux is experiencing this bug. Or any kind of regression at all.

edit:*related to AMD Threadripper - or the whole Zen2 architecture
        Last edited by CochainComplex; 25 May 2020, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DiDiDi View Post
          These are not great times for Intel, that's for sure.
          Why should GKH care about RGB?

...can "It needs to be quite" include no light emitting? as visual quiet
          Last edited by CochainComplex; 25 May 2020, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Well you should it is not about Kylie Jenner wears Gucci. If Linus uses AMD Threadripper you can be damn sure if there is a Kernel Bug it will be targeted rather fast. Since the "head" of Linux is experiencing this bug. Or any kind of regression at all.
            Please someone get him a Navi gpu.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

I'm pretty certain that no TRX40 motherboard contains integrated graphics since that's typically reserved for AM4 APUs and Epyc motherboards, so considering that Intel doesn't have consumer discrete GPUs available just yet and Linus doesn't exactly have the fondest opinion of Nvidia, there's a very good chance that he's at least using some form of AMD discrete GPU.

It's also worth noting that the whisper-quiet PC that Wendel built for Greg Kroah-Hartman uses a Radeon RX 5700XT.

Comment

Originally posted by NM64 View Post
                Radeon RX 5700XT.
                Blast, I typo'd - that should say 5600XT.

(if there's an edit function, it seems to not be available for me due to being a new member that still needs comments to be manually approved)

Comment

Not sure about Linus, but GKH has / soon will have RX 5600 XT.

Comment

You want a picture of Linus giving the finger to AMD?

Comment

Originally posted by tygrus View Post
                      Going from a SATA SSD to probably NVMe SSD would help keep up with the faster CPU.
                      kernel build easily fits in ram

Comment

Working...
                      X