Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds Switches To AMD Ryzen Threadripper After 15 Years Of Intel Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timed Kernel compilation benchmark results...
    https://openbenchmarking.org/showdow...d-linux-kernel

Comment

Linus is a trendsetter -
      Building a Whisper-Quiet Threadripper PC For Greg Kroah-Hartman!

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
        Core i9 9900k takes about 3x the time of the 3970x to compile Linux 5.4
        But... Intel is king at gaming!11!!!!!111!11 They get 5 more FPS!

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
          Dual .... Epyc... why... not??

(makes you wonder)
          Seriously, I know its open source but shouldn't he be at least moderately wealthy where a duel Epyc system isn't out of the question? I think the ECC RAM would even be justified for the lead kernel developer.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Seriously, I know its open source but shouldn't he be at least moderately wealthy where a duel Epyc system isn't out of the question? I think the ECC RAM would even be justified for the lead kernel developer.
            It think somebody else nailed it with GKH's whisper silent TR build, likely similar. Maybe getting a quiet dual Epyc workstation isn't feasible (?).

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

It will be real interesting to see what AMD has in mind for the next Threadripper verison. For just about anybody with demanding work loads ThreadRipper is possibly the best choice in a desktop solution.
              Higher RAM ceiling. For most of us, 256GB ram is enough. For what the CPU can do, it would benefit from a higher RAM ceiling and wander into the workstation/server market. It would at least be a huge boon for creators in the prosumer market. Especially for the core count.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                I moved to 3900x after realizing I had to work for home for another a few months, and everything is blazing fast!
                The only disadvantage is, there is no coffee break any more from compiling...
                Just write more bloated code, anything for the coffee!

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Just write more bloated code, anything for the coffee!
                  write more tests!
                  Last edited by cynic; 25 May 2020, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
                    Is there really that much difference between the Threadripper and Intel's latest offering?
                    Does Intel have anything in the works to counter with?
                    If nothing else, the price for sure. You can buy 30 threadrippers for the price of 1 of theose semi-competitors, and you get full PCIe lanes, no hardware DLC etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I made an account just to point out that many Threadripper motherboards and even several AM4 motherboards at least support unbuffered ECC memory, including the motherboard that Wendel used (MSI Creator TRX40) in that whisper-quiet PC build for Greg Kroah-Hartman.

Heck for the original first and second gen Threadripper and chipset, support for unbufferred ECC memory was actually straight-up part of the spec so AFAIK all X399 boards supported it (this may still be the case for TRX40, but ECC support was not specifically mentioned by AMD when unveiling 3rd gen Threadripper so it may instead be like AM4 Ryzen now where it's "enabled" but is up to the motherboard makers to actually support and validate the function).

Comment

Working...
                      X