Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds Switches To AMD Ryzen Threadripper After 15 Years Of Intel Systems

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #51
    I forgot to add, please someone get him a Navi gpu + a Freesync monitor with only HDMI port, so he can keep flipping fingers to AMD until they bring the code. LOL

    Comment


    • #52
      I do have to say that I am surprised. Not because he's moved away from Intel, but that it took this long for him to get a threadripper machine. Doing the work he does it should have been an absolute no-brainer for him to upgrade.

      My second work machine uses one of the first gen threadripper parts (1950X) and it still amazes me on how much faster it is than my main dev machine, which is a dual 6C/12T (12C/24T) Xeon box and obviously no slouch itself.
      "Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

      Comment


      • #53
        Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        I forgot to add, please someone get him a Navi gpu + a Freesync monitor with only HDMI port, so he can keep flipping fingers to AMD until they bring the code. LOL
        and set wayland as default session

        Comment


        • #54
          Originally posted by rene View Post
          why? With an " estimated net worth of $150 million and an estimated annual salary of $10 million" he should have no problem buying one, ...
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Hmm, yeah I guess. I don't know why he didn't buy the 3990X (64 cores, 128 threads). He bought the cheaper 3970X (32 cores, 64 threads).
          The 3990X is not that much faster at kernel compile compared to the 3970X, because with 64C/128T it runs into the scalability limits of the kernel build system.

          And just because you are rich doesn't mean you have to pay top dollar for everything. In fact, frivolously spending your money is one of the fastest ways to stop being rich.

          Comment


          • #55
            Originally posted by NM64 View Post

            I'm pretty certain that no TRX40 motherboard contains integrated graphics since that's typically reserved for AM4 APUs and Epyc motherboards, so considering that Intel doesn't have consumer discrete GPUs available just yet and Linus doesn't exactly have the fondest opinion of Nvidia, there's a very good chance that he's at least using some form of AMD discrete GPU.

            It's also worth noting that the whisper-quiet PC that Wendel built for Greg Kroah-Hartman uses a Radeon RX 5700XT.
            As a fellow kernel developer, I can guarantee that there is no way that Linus is using nvidia graphics (unless it is nouveau) because the nvidia driver is guaranteed to break often on the bleeding edge kernels that he runs. Any out of tree driver is unlikely to be used by him.

            Comment


            • #56
              Originally posted by DanL View Post
              I don't care what distro/desktop/CPU/whatever Linus prefers any more than I care what mouse Jonathan "Fatal1ty" Wendel uses. What nonsense.
              Whether you care or not there is a potential impact for all Linux users depending on what Linus himself uses.

              Comment


              • #57
                Originally posted by Paul Frederick View Post

                Whether you care or not there is a potential impact for all Linux users depending on what Linus himself uses.
                ....bah....

                Comment


                • #58
                  Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  The 3990X is not that much faster at kernel compile compared to the 3970X, because with 64C/128T it runs into the scalability limits of the kernel build system.

                  And just because you are rich doesn't mean you have to pay top dollar for everything. In fact, frivolously spending your money is one of the fastest ways to stop being rich.
                  and just because you are rich and famous does not entitle you to get expensive stuff for free.

                  Comment


                  • #59
                    Originally posted by rene View Post
                    and just because you are rich and famous does not entitle you to get expensive stuff for free.
                    GregKH seems to have gotten a threadripper workstation for free from AMD’s marketing budget.

                    Comment


                    • #60
                      Finally. I switched to AMD platform 2 years ago.
                      Intel is a bugs company on its own.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X