Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds Switches To AMD Ryzen Threadripper After 15 Years Of Intel Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
    Threadripper is a great platform. It's neat that Linus is using it. It does have one major issue at the moment: No RDIMM/LRDIMM support. That basically means most Threadripper systems are limited to 256GB of memory capacity. Enough for just about any purpose, but there are quite a few HEDT applications that require more ram. People with heavy rendering loads typically can make use of 512GB or even 1TB of RAM.

The TR CPU is physically capable of supporting it, but they artificially limit it to stop it from encroaching on Epyc territory.
    If it's a "major issue", you're using the wrong tool for the job. TR memory interface is only quad channel, while EPYC is eight channel. If you are in need of >256 GB, you would be better served with EPYC's 8 channels. Also, if you're in need of >256 GB, that's more "workstation" than "HEDT" market segment anyways, and the price difference between TR and EPYC is negligible at that point. There are a number of standard ATX sized single-socket EPYC boards out there, from which to build a workstation from. Contrast with Intel, where many Xeon chips are hobbled with a 32 GB max, and it becomes even harder to justify 256 GB limit as a "major issue".

Leave a comment:

• sandy8925
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Please someone get him a Navi gpu.
    Hey! R9 390 first.

I've been waiting 5 years along with other 390 owners.

Leave a comment:

• sandy8925
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Just write more bloated code, anything for the coffee!
    Add some sleep calls here and there. Problem solved!

Also doubles as future "performance optimization"

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by t.s. View Post
    If I ever buy new CPU in the near future, I would go with renoir (ryzen 4000G).
    A leak: https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/1428...h9H_2RFD-eales
    LEAK! Cores / Threads Base Clock Turbo Clock TDP Graphics Cores
    Ryzen 7 4700G 8C/16T 3.6 GHz 4.4 GHz 65W 8
    Ryzen 7 PRO 4700G 8C/16T 3.6 GHz 4.4 GHz 65W 8
    Ryzen 7 4700GE 8C/16T 3.1 GHz 4.3 GHz 35W 8
    Ryzen 5 PRO 4400G 6C/12T 3.7 GHz 4.3 GHz 65W 7
    Ryzen 5 4400GE 6C/12T 3.3 GHz 4.2 GHz 35W 7
    Ryzen 3 PRO 4200G 4C/8T 3.8 GHz 4.1 GHz 65W 6
    Ryzen 3 4200GE 4C/8T 3.5 GHz 4.1 GHz 35W 6
    AMD has lost their minds if this leak is true. This means they just copied Intel on every single thing and just compete on price. So now the G parts just have a weak igpu just for the UI and pixel art gaming, just like Intel was doing all along. What is the point of getting an 8core with such a weak igpu? Boring, trash product, only a tiny niche might be interested in it.

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    If I ever buy new CPU in the near future, I would go with renoir (ryzen 4000G).
    A leak: https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/1428...h9H_2RFD-eales
    LEAK! Cores / Threads Base Clock Turbo Clock TDP Graphics Cores
    Ryzen 7 4700G 8C/16T 3.6 GHz 4.4 GHz 65W 8
    Ryzen 7 PRO 4700G 8C/16T 3.6 GHz 4.4 GHz 65W 8
    Ryzen 7 4700GE 8C/16T 3.1 GHz 4.3 GHz 35W 8
    Ryzen 5 PRO 4400G 6C/12T 3.7 GHz 4.3 GHz 65W 7
    Ryzen 5 4400GE 6C/12T 3.3 GHz 4.2 GHz 35W 7
    Ryzen 3 PRO 4200G 4C/8T 3.8 GHz 4.1 GHz 65W 6
    Ryzen 3 4200GE 4C/8T 3.5 GHz 4.1 GHz 35W 6

Leave a comment:

• AmericanLocomotive
    replied
    Threadripper is a great platform. It's neat that Linus is using it. It does have one major issue at the moment: No RDIMM/LRDIMM support. That basically means most Threadripper systems are limited to 256GB of memory capacity. Enough for just about any purpose, but there are quite a few HEDT applications that require more ram. People with heavy rendering loads typically can make use of 512GB or even 1TB of RAM.

The TR CPU is physically capable of supporting it, but they artificially limit it to stop it from encroaching on Epyc territory.

Leave a comment:

• noangel
    replied
    douche, 10900K gives more FPS in CS GO than any Threadripper from Lisa

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    More cores -> more jobs -> more RAM.

A 64-thread machine with just 16 GB of RAM will probably be something of a swapfest, assuming you're ever actually using most of the cores.
    At least as far as building a Gentoo system goes, I've found that 2gigs per core seems to be the sweet spot.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    "640 kb ought to be enough for anybody" -- Bill Gates
    "8 gb ought to be enough for anybody" -- Vistaus

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    8 GB? No sir, not me!
    Sry, I meant Vistaus

Leave a comment: