Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    False.
    Must be living in a different universe from everyone else.

Comment

False.
      No, it's true, but it's all relative. MS being more open source friendly is like a high jump competition with the bar two inches off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        That Dan Siegel guy comes off as a total asshole in that issue.

Apparently we haven't posted enough issues at KDE's mirror for KDE to be relevant product
        That's actually hilarious that the MS drone who's working on the latest cross platform soon-to-fail project that MS is certain to kill off within a few years is looking down his nose at anyone else. You can almost hear him think as he wrote that, "Poor peasant doesn't even know that a colossal proprietary failure ALWAYS looks better on your next job application than even the most successful community projects."

Comment

This is Microsoft's attempt to Absorb an open-source project, again. I don't think this is a mistake but something done on purpose. They did it before with XInput (but nobody cared).

What's next? ALSA?

Comment

False.
            Are you a developer? Because I've noticed their contributions as one, and I much rather that continues than it all having been closed-source instead.

Microsoft Open Source: get involved in open source communities, discover projects and ecosystems Microsoft is involved in, and learn about the Microsoft open source program

Not all of those projects are useful to those outside of C#/MS stacks, but MS does contribute some nice things that are open-source. Might not be perfect/ideal, but I don't view MS as black/white blanket judgement.

Feel free to demonstrate how their support for open-source in recent years has been on a decline instead.

Comment

Embrace.
              |
              |
              v <--we are here.
              Extend.
              |
              |
              v
              Extinguish.

Comment

i bet this two projects is dead by 2021

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                  What? They've been more open-source friendly these days, there was an article on phoronix recently about some MS dude high up even speaking positively about open-source.
                  Not sure if this german saying is used in english aswell but have you ever heard of "wolf in sheep's clothing"?

If they would really care about OpenSource they would e.g.: produce Office for Linux or DX12 for Linux* and in the best case Open Source that too. But they still keep the EEE Mantra. Such big companies don't change their culture that much in such a short period of time. Btw thats why most huge companies fail to adopt new trends and die. Economics Lifecycle.

*Not that most recent Kernel Driver crap..I mean .a simple libdx12.so

Comment

It's probably worth noting that Dan Siegel is not an MS employee, just an "MVP". An actual employee popped up a bit later, marked his comments as "disruptive", gave him a 7 day ban, and threatened to make it permanent of he kept being so disrespectful. He also offered to continue the discussion per email, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Not sure if this german saying is used in english aswell but have you ever heard of "wolf in sheep's clothing"?

If they would really care about OpenSource they would e.g.: produce Office for Linux or DX12 for Linux* and in the best case Open Source that too. But they still keep the EEE Mantra.
                      Yes that's a known english expression too.

They've contributed good open-source stuff, not necessarily for linux specifically but none the less has value to open-source community.

You can care about open-source to contribute to it, those contributions can still be financed with business value in mind though. The marketshare for Office on linux is negligible, as is DX12. We as Linux users may view that differently and would appreciate it, but from a business point of view there is little reason to prioritize or care for such. Deciding what projects get open-sourced based on that isn't all that bad, they still contribute open-source regardless and that is a good thing. Could it be better? Sure.

Based on the mailing list discussion from the DX12 article, it's not likely to be accepted into the kernel unless they open it up, and that still will only be permitted if any patent issues are cleared up. Thus Microsoft will have to work around that without upstream support in the kernel, requiring some kernel module be used like nvidia drivers or they push for a Vulkan solution. Their main business interest for it is to retain marketshare with machine learning that needs GPU access but runs better via linux, so to support that via WSL they apparently need to provide some functionality in the kernel. It's not open-source, they're not doing it out of love for linux or community, but that doesn't nullify the open-source contributions thus far and make them bad all of a sudden.

If we're lucky, they want to avoid causing any additional friction for this WSL solution and DX12 is important enough that Vulkan is not an option, if they don't have any other viable options for the intended purpose and need to open-source stuff, that'll likely happen, probably in as minimal amount as possible but you never know

I don't see how MS is doing anything that harms open-source or Linux here. They're a business and will act within those interests, but I don't see what they could do to negatively impact linux? Not doing positive things like open-sourcing DX12 or Office doesn't make them bad, they're far better than Apple in my books. This opinion in no way praises MS as perfect, I just don't see them as a threat.

Comment

Working...
                      X