Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft And A KDE Project Spar Over "MAUI"

Phoronix: Microsoft And A KDE Project Spar Over "MAUI"

A few years ago it was GNOME developers frustrated with Microsoft over naming a project GVFS (later renamed to Virtual File System for Git) as it collided with their GVFS (GNOME Virtual File-System) while now there is a similar situation brewing between Microsoft and KDE camps...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LOL @ "it's been through legal review"
    Pretending it's solely a matter of whether you'll get sued or not is a weasel move.

Comment

That Dan Siegel guy comes off as a total asshole in that issue.

so you like this cute little side project... but let's be honest here when it comes to being a serious project it's not one. There isn't major support for MauiKit, the likelihood is that most people probably never heard of it before today, and there is no widespread adoption of it. Can you name 10 large companies that have adopted it?

Your attitude is as if Microsoft is being some big evil corporation. The reality is I highly doubt anybody heard of MauiKit, and frankly nobody cares.

(The person he quoted) Let's pretend that this is not a mirror but the official repository (not so).. can a project name be stolen because it has less fame?

Ok let's look at kde... there are 10 open issues... are you seriously going to tell me that a serious cross platform framework has 10 open issues... that's not realistic in any shape way or form. So again your complaints are just being ridiculous.
      Apparently we haven't posted enough issues at KDE's mirror for KDE to be relevant product

Comment

It looks like Blue Systems has a trademark to MAUI in the EU. Clemens and his company hires many KDE devs. Microsoft legal worked really hard on this.

Comment

When will the governor of Hawaii take a side?

Comment

Wow, Microsoft seems to be so desperate these days since it's fighting back so aggressively against open source.
            I know that in the past years they have become more and more disgusting, like they are competing with Nvidia, but this is a whole new level of low.

Comment

It is nice ... Microsoft has tried so hard - well, it at least spend some money for PR - in showing they changed (from the dark side into the light) - are open source friendly - and that the GPL is no longer a cancer - and in a clear legal thing (concerning them and KDE - the governor of Hawai is another thing ...) they just pretend that they can steal a common name and get along with it - as it is bigger.
              Well, here is M$ stealing DOS and Windows NT (aka Windows 10) from other companies and calling other pirates: It's back.
              I am really amused - really ...
              Popcorn is ready!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                That Dan Siegel guy comes off as a total asshole in that issue.

Apparently we haven't posted enough issues at KDE's mirror for KDE to be relevant product
                The first half he isn't all that wrong in respect to the MAUI thing. But if he's taking a stab at KDE in the 2nd half, then he's not all that bright :\

Personally, I don't care for the MAUI thing, never heard of it before(other than a distro I think?) and local legend for the native culture of my country(albeit slightly different official spelling Māui). I'm surprised MS respected Gnome GVFS, maybe due to RedHat having strong ties to Gnome, but KDE probably doesn't seem to have as much "weight".

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Wow, Microsoft seems to be so desperate these days since it's fighting back so aggressively against open source.
                  I know that in the past years they have become more and more disgusting, like they are competing with Nvidia, but this is a whole new level of low.
                  What? They've been more open-source friendly these days, there was an article on phoronix recently about some MS dude high up even speaking positively about open-source.

Some are still going to be all about proprietary, it's not uncommon culture especially with devs in MS stacks that just deal with proprietary software. This guy apparently hasn't even heard of KDE before?

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
                  they just pretend that they can steal a common name and get along with it - as it is bigger.
                  Pretty much, but I wouldn't really see it as stealing or having that big of an impact really. Besides "Oh no, company with bigger mindshare is naming a project with similar functionality to ours" thing, but developer wise to whom would actually recognize MAUI for each platform, there's a huge difference. If you work on KDE, it's not like this will really make any difference.

You're not going to be hitting google up and finding lots of resources over the internet related to it, the few devs that do are likely able to communicate with one another in some group and perhaps document related resources in a wiki somewhere, that's where you go.

Thus not really worth making a fuss over. If it were more user facing or would have a notable negative impact, absolutely try do something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                    What? They've been more open-source friendly these days,
                    False.

Comment

Working...
                    X