Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft To Support GPU Acceleration, Linux GUI Apps On WSL2

Phoronix: Microsoft To Support GPU Acceleration, Linux GUI Apps On WSL2

Microsoft's virtual Build conference kicked off this morning and this year brings another big improvement on the Windows Subsystem for Linux front.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The so called GPU compute acceleration is probably OpenCL passthrough. I wonder if they implement OpenGL/Vulkan passthrough next. That might make Windows in some ways a better platform for GNU applications than Linux itself is.

Comment

Same times...
      Embrace...

Here comes the link to kernel code (dxgkrnl) on dri-devel:
      [RFC PATCH 0/4] DirectX on Linux

Comment

A Microsoft also expect to use Windows 10 on bare metal. Not going to happen

Comment

As someone who has to use Windows on bare metal at work, this is very welcome. The Register article also mentions Wayland. I'd be interested to know where that fits in. I was watching the live stream and they fired up The GIMP in their demo, which I certainly wasn't expecting! I suppose that's one of the few applications where they don't really have a competing product.

Comment

I hope for the imminent Linux Microsoft operating system so to switch to Windows again. Microsoft has a much better development team so to realize an excellent Linux operating system.

Comment

Microsoft is promising to dramatically improve its Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) with GUI app support and GPU hardware acceleration
              You can't make this shit up. Windows will probably run Linux GUI apps better than Linux itself 😂😂😂

Comment

This "package manager" is not even a little interesting. It's an exact replica of chocolatey, only with less features.

It's not a "package manager", it's wget + an archive of somewhat trusted/verified non-malware software.

What the software does now is download the setup file and run it. Exactly like you would through a browser, just without having to visit the publishers probably crappy site (like most Windows software). But chocolatey _and other_ tools already did this.

It's not that I have a particular problem with them reinventing the wheel, but it's _not_ a "package manager". Calling it that just gives people hope that the software ecosystem on Windows is finally becoming sane, but that is _not_ the case. It's still the wild west, and this project is not going to change that.

Comment

Originally posted by vhaarr View Post
                  This "package manager" is not even a little interesting. It's an exact replica of chocolatey, only with less features.

It's not a "package manager", it's wget + an archive of somewhat trusted/verified non-malware software.

What the software does now is download the setup file and run it. Exactly like you would through a browser, just without having to visit the publishers probably crappy site (like most Windows software). But chocolatey _and other_ tools already did this.

It's not that I have a particular problem with them reinventing the wheel, but it's _not_ a "package manager". Calling it that just gives people hope that the software ecosystem on Windows is finally becoming sane, but that is _not_ the case. It's still the wild west, and this project is not going to change that.
                  That's sad. I was hoping for a bit more than that. I knew of Chocolatey but I'd never actually looked at it.

Regarding GPU acceleration, the video showed them using a CUDA-enabled Linux application to detect cars in a dashcam video under WSL2. While it was running, they fired up Task Manager to show it hammering the GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    I hope for the imminent Linux Microsoft operating system so to switch to Windows again. Microsoft has a much better development team so to realize an excellent Linux operating system.
                    I believe you meant the GNU/Microsoft operating system?

Comment

Working...
                    X