Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft President Brad Smith Acknowledges They Were Previously Wrong On Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft President Brad Smith Acknowledges They Were Previously Wrong On Open-Source

Phoronix: Microsoft President Brad Smith Acknowledges They Were Previously Wrong On Open-Source

While Microsoft executives in past years have called open-source/Linux a "cancer" and other FUD, current President of Microsoft, Brad Smith, acknowledges they were wrong in those past remarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is Windows or Microsoft Office Free software yet? No? Guess this guff is so much hot air from the rear then. So much for the importance of "open source". I'm sure they enjoy making money from Gnu+linux on their stupid online virtual machine and virtual container service.

Comment

Embrace.

Comment

Open Source Net Framework completely no just Core for servers or else shut up.

Comment

Better late than never. Mr. Smith seems to take some of the blame personally and I don't know what his stance and policies were at the time, but mostly it was Gates and Ballmer who were dramatically wrong ("communist cancer", Halloween docs, the SCOgate and all that...) Ultimately and as always, however, no-one was more hurt by it than Microsoft itself. If, instead of spending considerable resources and alienating many customers in a futile attempt to kill open source, they embraced it from the start and used it to their advantage, they may not have been displaced by Google and Amazon.

To be fair, today's Microsoft is an active member of the open source community, from Linux kernel development to GitHub, and their contributions are usually valued and appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
            Is Windows or Microsoft Office Free software yet? No? Guess this guff is so much hot air from the rear then.
            Not even that much; if they simply release MS Office for Linux, then I will believe them. Or Exchange, or Sharepoint, or AD. Anything that is in common usage. And I mean a feature parity release, not a hobbled Lite edition as they did with Office for Mac for so many years. But they won't. Not ever.

Google Chrome has managed to, and LibreOffice has managed to, and Valve Steam has managed to, and Oracle Database, Weblogic, SOA Suite, and countless other very large very complex pieces of software. But poor little Microsoft.... can't.

Because it's Windows OS or nothing, above all else. Literally the only reason to use Windows OS is their artificial vendor lock-in of their own apps and proprietary file formats. Same as its always been with Microsoft. Their newfound appreciation for FOSS is nothing but a marketing exercise. They haven't changed one bit.
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 14 May 2020, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Microsoft was on the wrong side of history
              MS is still on the wrong side of history in many aspects. Phil Spencer especially doesn't know times have supposedly changed for MS. Where is their support for Vulkan? MS still pushes DirectX lock-in junk. And it's just one example out of many.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Not even that much; if they simply release MS Office for Linux, then I will believe them. Or Exchange, or Sharepoint, or AD. Anything that is in common usage. And I mean a feature parity release, not a hobbled Lite edition as they did with Office for Mac for so many years. But they won't. Not ever.
                IMHO if there is one thing we DON'T need on Linux, it's proprietary, lock-in, subscription-based ransomware office software. Rather than releasing MS Office for Linux I wish they simply released the full documentation (not just the XML schema, but the nitty gritty implementation details) of the OOXML formats.

Comment

Microsoft are, and always have been, a cancer. If you doubt this, just read some of the stuff from the Halloween Documents. They only resentfully started "loving" open source when they were left with absolutely no other choice and, even now, it's still only at a superficial level. The vast majority of their software is still either proprietary, Windows-only or a sales funnel for one of the above. Many of their efforts are still actively hostile and damaging to open source.

At least '90s Microsoft were somewhat honest in their approach. nu-Microsoft are just a snake in the grass.
                  Last edited by JustinTurdeau; 14 May 2020, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Now what if they are lying so they take control of major open-source projects and then close them down to make the next Windows?

Comment

Working...
                    X