Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft President Brad Smith Acknowledges They Were Previously Wrong On Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug77
    replied
    Was that anything Ballmer got right as MS CEO? I mean, anything?

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by lowlands View Post

IIRC it is a gigantic frankencontainer just like they are doing with WSL.
    In my opinion it is absolutely amazing that a company will invest so many man hours doing some extremely technical work making a subsystem for Linux (WSL1) only to throw it *all* away and just use Hyper-V for WSL2.

It feels wasteful, undirected and shows that they have no real care or passion for their projects. Does Microsoft have ADHD or just a hyperactive kid with an extremely low attention span and no real care.

Leave a comment:

• lowlands
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberax View Post
    Note, that MS SQL Server now works great on Linux.
    IIRC it is a gigantic frankencontainer just like they are doing with WSL. Nothing native. Last time I looked there wasn't an RPM repository so you can install with $ sudo dnf install mssql-server.rpm

My guess is they only made it available so there's an easy migration path: Linux+PostgreSQL/MariaDB -> Linux+MSSQLserver -> Win+MSSQLserver

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    If you're serious MS then at the very least open source NTFS, preferably Windows in it's entirety on GPL 3.

Didn't think so.
    NTFS might still have IBM code on it, and IBM sold the remains of OS/2 to other companies.

Most of MS's "technologies" aren't really their own. Remember that it all started when Bill Gates bought 86-DOS and renamed it to MS-DOS.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
    Yes Linux is free, and it's worth every penny we pay for it.
    Yes, free operating systems have slight issues with direction, maintenance, backwards compatibility etc... but the alternatives?... ha ha ha ha ha ha

In 2020 the more money you pay, the worse crap you get!

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    There's always some flaw making it unstable or non-intuitive. As recently as in the last 3 years (on different machines), after 2 weeks of suspend/resume, every Windows 10 machine starts to sink and somehow to break, permanently losing network folders, or starting to mess with the download file naming process (even in Outlook), and little things like these starting to add up with more uptime days. Or RAM consumption is uncontrolled.
    I'm on Windows LTSC and last week I was forced to reinstall Office because an update broke it. AutoCAD was borked as well but I could repair it. Not even their "stable," "enterprise" Windows version is free from breakage.

Not to mention the countless times I saw a Windows 10 installation get stuck in a bootloop and would only boot again after repairing/reinstalling. Never saw that on previous versions.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Microsft needs Linux for its next Operating System accessing it freely.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Yeah, github needs abandoned all at once today. This very second. Cannot wait. FU MS. Go suck a dick.

Leave a comment:

• JustinTurdeau
    replied
    Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
    Let's be honest with ourselves, open source is a cancer, you can't make money off of free. No one should be expected to go to school for 4-5 years, spend 100+ grand, depending on the college, to earn a Bachelors degree in Com Sci just so they can give the software they write away for free.

Micro$oft PR damage control: engaged. Send in the shills!
    Last edited by JustinTurdeau; 15 May 2020, 10:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Spooktra
    replied
    Let's be honest with ourselves, open source is a cancer, you can't make money off of free. No one should be expected to go to school for 4-5 years, spend 100+ grand, depending on the college, to earn a Bachelors degree in Com Sci just so they can give the software they write away for free.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X