No announcement yet.

LibreOffice On Windows Will Now Hard Require Clang For Performance Reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it works on Windows 7 SP1 untouched (without requiring any updates from Microsoft), I'm happy.
    Microsoft puts too much spyware garbage into their updates.
    Seeing open source software that don't require MSVC for compilation, makes me happy also, since I don't trust Microsoft with the binary code that it produces.
    Microsoft is so greedy these days that it would be no surprise to me to see news that they are adding extra spyware or intentional vulnerability to software compiled with their compiler.
    Very good to see LibreOffice improving both performance, but also security!

Comment

Now, for real, can you compare Clang to GCC instead of Clang to Visual?

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
        When a spreadsheet/document maker requires advanced hw acceleration. And still looks and sometimes behaves ugly.
        Just how many layers and frameworks are there lol
        Layers don't matter much... They are cheap, as calls through layers is O(1). Bigger performance issues are caused by naive non-optimized non-caching implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Layers don't matter much... They are cheap, as calls through layers is O(1). Bigger performance issues are caused by naive non-optimized non-caching implementation.
          there's always gnumeric if one wants high performance.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
            Layers don't matter much... They are cheap, as calls through layers is O(1).
            What a dumb statement.

Comment

Is hardware-accelerated GUI rendering even works in LibreOffice on Linux? Last time I tried this it fail horribly, to the point I had to edit LO configs to make it start again, instead of sugfault right a way.

Comment

This project is such a disappointment.
                All these years and it's still ugly and heavy and full of issues.

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post
                  Just for the info: GCC doesn't show the same performance regression as MSVC compiler, so on Linux or any other platform, Clang won't be forced when Skia is enabled. MSVC is a fast compiler, but doesn't optimize the code as much. Skia developers mainly develop the library for Chromium, which always compiles with Clang on Windows, so performance regressions like this just aren't addressed.
                  since Microsoft start to develop his fork of chromium, I would expected they do build with MSVC.
                  Qt fork of chromium qtwebengine use MSVC as compiler

Comment

It isn’t surprising that this is needed on Windows. Nothing is really optimized well on Windows 10. I learned this the hard way first running Windows 10 on a laptops. It was pretty bad and combined with really bad GUI choices was put to shame when I switched to Linux. That is saying a lot because Linux had issues with the early Ryzen mobile hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

Firefox now defaults to Skia (check about:support in any recent build).
                      Thanks. I'd heard they were working on shifting away from Cairo, but I lost track of the effort and forgot how to check.

Comment

Working...
                      X